Type your thoughts

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Type your thoughts

Postby fone » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:47 pm

^Was thinking of doing that also. Just kind of fed up with the polarization that politics causes in this country and how it impacts people on fb. I don't want to hear any of it because it's all a load of crap no matter who your special candidate is.

So that's why I was thinking of quitting fb, but then again, I thought, when I get a musical rush from something I listen to, I like to share that. If more of my fb friends would post things like that, I would have no inclination to quit.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Deactivated my FB page a couple weeks ago and I think it was one of the best things I've ever done. I won't say it's forever, but life sure has been nice without it.

I have one and I check it maybe once every two/three weeks. Despite me having long droughts in viewing, it's remarkable how little I miss. I feel sorry for those folks who check it all the time. I also don't have any alerts or, if I do, I ignore them. I only have about 13 "friends" and I can go to each page on its own and check it as I please...I don't let the "Facebook feed" just constantly spew me disjointed posts from everywhere. I also turned off any instances of people tagging me in a photo so those don't show up on my Facebook...why would I need it put on my Facebook when someone else posted a picture?

So, I guess I'm saying that it's not so bad if you turn off the alerts and other constant crap it feeds at you. It only takes over if you let it.

^Was thinking of doing that also. Just kind of fed up with the polarization that politics causes in this country and how it impacts people on fb.

This may be a factor of me having few friends but I have little who really do that and, when they do, I tend to make silly remarks to make fun of the candidates to lighten the mood. I knew one guy who had nothing but government conspiracy stuff on his page but I think he eventually unfriended me since we never hang anymore.

I also had another who posts nothing but reaffirming articles and banners about how great they are for home-schooling their kids. Given I rarely saw this person too, I unfriended them...I don't need to see their image-crafting on a daily basis. I have a few who do nothing but post garbage about their kids but I haven't unfriended them yet if only because I may see them in real life...but I'm getting close to it. I keep it clean.

but then again, I thought, when I get a musical rush from something I listen to, I like to share that.

This is really all I ever post. Neat videos or songs. I think my last post was some Bette Midler show that I stumbled on months ago.
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:20 pm

I don't care for FB personally, but there are some groups that i need to follow professionally, so I have it. It's actually a good tool to keep in touch with my professional colleagues across the country. But cha, if I didn't need it professionally, I wouldn't have one anymore.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby returnedjustlookingaround » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:51 am

s p 0 0 k s
returnedjustlookingaround

Postby fone » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:28 pm

wait, "teh taintless wonder" ?

I thought I was MIA for a while.

Hey!
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:42 pm

^Hey, there you are. Was wondering where you'd disappeared to. Don't be a stranger.
El Bastarde

Postby phishinsky » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:12 am

fone wrote:wait, "teh taintless wonder" ?

I thought I was MIA for a while.

Hey!

Ditto, differences being we care about u... :P
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby goldenroad » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:31 am

Phelps is fucking nuts! I can't believe he pulled that shit off.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:18 pm

^Just seeing him warm up makes you realize he's got this weirdly-shaped body that's almost designed for swimming. He's a freak but in a good way.
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:51 pm

First day of intro to law week. these poor son's a bitches are up for three years of misery and a lifetime of debt!!! poor bastards!!!
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Katiemay » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Phelps is the perfect storm of phenomenal natural talent and dedication to practice. He is truly amazing to watch.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:22 pm

El Bastarde

Postby Brother » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Now that I have a full time job and my own office, and I'm sitting down with another hour of work to go, I truly understand what OKP is about. It took me 6 years to understand the true nature of the OKP. I look forward to encountering even more mysteries. Also going with a new color on my name to celebrate! Whatch'yall think? Did you like my Midwest + South portmanteau of What'cha with yall?
Brother

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Scooby Doo, can doo doo
But Jimmy Carter, is smarter
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Now that I have a full time job and my own office, and I'm sitting down with another hour of work to go, I truly understand what OKP is about.

Checking OKP is one of my favorite traditions when first settling down at work. Helps ease into the day.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Cavs win it all.
Tribe wins the AL Central.
Browns.

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Can't stop thinking about Nike and Pandora.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby ladyphish » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:39 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:01 pm

^I know. I never thought the ole Donald would win. So how's it feel for us to be great again?

Also, I've never seen a president get assassinated before so this could be neat. (I kid, I kid!)

Seriously though, in the end, I think a lot of just completely forgot the fact that absolutely fucking no one liked Hillary Clinton. Folks have hated her for the last 20 years and were just sick of the Dems constant attempts to jam her down our throats for these last 10 years when everyone wanted her to just go away. I think even her supporters were just talking themselves into her while none were that thrilled about her and they all agreed she's a weaker candidate.

And, man, the demographics didn't turn on Trump at all like we thought. I figured he's not getting women or minorities and it turns out that none of them gave a shit about Hillary and still couldn't vote for her. She's just so dirty that even those people couldn't talk themselves into her. Can't say I blame the country for giving Hillary and the Clintons one last collective middle finger to go away forever.

We ignored other trends too...like how the president has been just naturally cyclical for a number of years now...folks get sick of 8 years of one party and naturally go to the other. And I wonder if this is kind of a backlash against the overbearing PC thing where it feels like no one can say something rude about anyone else without folks calling for them to be fired. I don't know what Trump can do on this but I kinda wish he'd put the kibosh on some of the catering to these whiny people. Obviously, some PC is necessary but many of these groups go too far.

It also shows the thing I've argued for a while now...that social media does NOT represent the majority. Because the internet sure seemed squarely behind Hillary and it meant nothing. There are large pockets not represented online and it does well to remember that. Also, if this isn't enough for us to know that early polls are useless, I don't know what is.

Regardless, I have little enough respect for the modern government that I have no problem with us throwing a monkey wrench in Trump into the mix to see if something happens. This is certainly a backlash to the the current state of politicians who are all the same and never show any backbone in anything and never get any real change. It's debatable that Trump will be able to change anything (I'm guessing he won't) but it'll be entertaining to watch.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Two of my friends from college visited me last weekend. It was really nice seeing them, but it re-opened old wounds.

In March of 2013, seven Marines were killed and eight more were injured in when a mortar round exploded during a training exercise at Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada. Among those killed was one of my dearest friends, Aaron.

I did not know that he had died until 2015, when I was planning my Phish trip and realized that I would have to drive through St. Louis (his hometown) twice. I attempted to contact him to arrange a meet up, but obviously I got no reply. So I did a Google search and discovered the horrible news. I then called our college friends to ask if they had known. They did not.

Driving from Kansas City to Cleveland, I stopped in Edwardsville, Illinois to have pizza at Aaron's favorite pizza place - Imo's Pizza. I ordered a pepperoni pizza, sat down to wait for it, and very nearly started crying there at the table. I did not expect this reaction at all. I thought it was going to be a fun tribute, celebrating the time I spent with him, rather than mourning him. So I got my pizza and got the f*ck out of there. From Edwardsville (which for all intents and purposes is St Louis) to Indianapolis, I was on the verge of breaking down.

After that I had managed to put it out of my mind for nearly two more years.

Last weekend someone brought him up, which I knew was inevitable. The three of us went two years without knowing that a good friend was dead, and four years without ever really talking about him - together. The vibe of the visit turned a sullen.

During the week I looked for old photos of us, and only found one that had all four of us - it was from Cinco De Mayo 2006. I'm the one in the orange shirt; Aaron is in the black hoodie, doing the tongue in cheek thing.

Someone once told me that this sense loss was similar to an emotional tax. It is the price you pay for caring about someone. I miss him very much.

I also found a new article about Aaron's funeral, and how 9000~ people showed up, and how the Westboro Baptist Church showed up to protest against homosexuals and Catholics (Aaron was catholic). Another article brought up the fact that Sen. Harry Reid used Aaron's death as a political prop to get Obama to end the budget sequestration of 2013. FUCK THOSE ASSHOLES.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:26 pm

^Wow, great story. Don't know what else I can say though.
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear this Tom. As Steve said, not sure there's anything else that can be said, except I hope you're starting to heal from all of it.
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Harpua » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks, guys.

It has been heavy on my mind since last weekend. I thought that maybe putting it all to words and doing a bit of venting with the OKP acting as either an active or passive sounding board would help. I can't think of a more appropriate place on the internet to do some venting than this thread.

It was a very weird situation. Since we met in college and lived 300 miles from one another, we had no mutual friends other than our college friends. He was in the military which made communication very difficult. Also he didn't have Facebook. Word of mouth and Facebook are pretty much the only ways I could have found out. So we went two years without knowing.

Talking to Joe and Alex (the other two guys on the right side of the picture) about Aaron really unearthed the fact that I am still dealing with this (and so are they). I think the fact that I was actively optimistic that I would see him again at the very moment that I found out that he had died, and that I still feel awful for not knowing sooner complicated the healing process for me, but I don't know if there is a right way to heal.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:37 pm

I can't think of a more appropriate place on the internet to do some venting than this thread.

I hear you, man. I've vented on some things on here too as have many. Sometimes it's better to just get it out there and tell someone.

Also he didn't have Facebook. Word of mouth and Facebook are pretty much the only ways I could have found out.

I know many old friends like this. None of the stories are quite as tragic as what you put but sometimes you get on the subject of chatting about these folks with friends and you hear some wild stories of what's happened to them. But, hey, don't beat yourself up for not knowing...a lot of friends drift apart forever and never talk again so it was good that you cared enough to try to reach out to the guy. Many wouldn't even do that.
El Bastarde

Postby fone » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Don't know if I'm back, although if I'm here, I must be?

Can't explain my absence at all. I could use getting older as an excuse and finding that everything seems to take more time than it used to, or that I don't seem to be getting as excited by things as I used to, but that would essentially be bullshit.

I think work is the reason, and it shouldn't be, but it is. I'm in the final stage of my professional career and I'm sprinting toward a finish line of my own making. Working longer hours, trying to save as much as I can to make retirement more rewarding from a fixed income perspective. I can't get to the OKP from work, and when I get home, my mind is mush and I just want to zone. I listen to only classical music these days, because there are no words to make me think, only gentle sounds to help me de-stress from the day.

Can't say how long I'll last here again, but if the OKP is still around this time next year, I'll have plenty of time to ruminate as I used to.

:wave:
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion