Seen any good movies lately?

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Seen any good movies lately?

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 pm

As a movie, it is probably a 2 star flick, but as an enjoyable movie theater experience, I give it 5 stars. It is probably my second favorite installment in the lumbering dinosaur that is the Jurassic Park franchise.

LOL, considering you basically openly mocked the movie in your review, I like that it ended as your second-favorite. Doesn't say a lot about the other movies in the series. For me, I saw Lost World and it was terrible and I was out on the franchise right there. I'd rather just watch the 1st for the 20th time than see a new one.

I am proud to say I at least DVR'd the original Ant Man as inspiration of the new one. I tend to like the super-hero movies that AREN'T part of some annoying expanded universe so I may like it.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harpua » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:49 pm

El Bastarde wrote:LOL, considering you basically openly mocked the movie in your review, I like that it ended as your second-favorite. Doesn't say a lot about the other movies in the series. For me, I saw Lost World and it was terrible and I was out on the franchise right there. I'd rather just watch the 1st for the 20th time than see a new one.

Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies, and I think the rest of the franchise is horrible. Fallen Kingdom really doubled down on the ridiculousness and found that "bad movie but fun to watch" sweet spot. I wish MST3K had the budget to spoof this one.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:11 pm

El Bastarde wrote:I tend to like the super-hero movies that AREN'T part of some annoying expanded universe so I may like it.

hmmmm....

I've said too much.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:48 pm

^LOL, Well I know Ant Man's part of it...I'd just hope it's kept to a minimum.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Sorry To Bother You is fantastic!

I went in expecting a character study of a guy getting a job at a telemarketing firm, I get something completely different.

Highly recommend going in blind. Finally a movie where the trailer doesn't ruin everything.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:45 pm

I'm a bit of a Steve McQueen fan, so when I heard that Fathom was doing Bullitt 50th anniversary screenings I got tickets immediately. Now, I had seen this movie probably 6 - 8 times previously, so I didn't think I would see anything new.

There is one scene that struck me as particularly stupid this time.

Bullitt's girlfriend barges into a crime scene, and sees Bullitt casually describing the gruesome scene over the phone. She is disturbed by the dead body, and he quickly blocks her view of the corpse. On the way home, Bullitt pulls over on the side of the highway, and his girlfriend runs from the car toward the ocean. He catches up to her and she gives a monologue about what she saw and how it relates to their relationship. The speech ends with her asking, "What will happen to us, in time?" presumably rhetorically. Frank then answers, "Time starts now." And that was that.

The relationship and this scene in particular (not to mention the psychedelic cocktail party) seemed so shoehorned into an otherwise gritty masterpiece.

Seeing the car chase in the theater made me nauseous.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:50 pm

^I don't even remember Bullitt having a girlfriend in that movie but the scene is nicely shot and could have been handled a bit a worse, especially given he says almost nothing.

As for the cocktail party, I swear there was a law that all 70's movies had to have some sort of psychodelic hippie party in one scene. It's just the rule.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 pm

^ Saying nothing was Steve McQueen's thing. Nobody says nothing quite like him. When he would look at scripts he would cross out all his dialog, and write his own succinct lines. He barely spoke in anything after The Blob.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Saying nothing was Steve McQueen's thing. Nobody says nothing quite like him.

That staredown is just the best. Could end any argument with this. Would love to see a movie of him and Clint Eastwood just staring at each other. Oscar-worthy stuff.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 am

A Star Is Born, fantastic.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:14 pm

A Star Is Born, fantastic.

Ewwwwwww
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:34 pm

^ I've heard nothing but good things about A Star is Born.

I watched Outlaw King yesterday.

If you liked Braveheart (which I did), I recommend you see Outlaw King. It picks up almost exactly where Braveheart leaves off, and focuses on a few of the same characters. Sometimes the movie looks great, other times it looks like they had a very small budget (which they didn't). It is pretty gory, borderline comically muddy, and feels like a quick moving episode of Game of Thrones. The main villain is among the most one dimensional villains in recent history.

The run-time is reasonable, at just about 2 hours.

Chris Pine's Scottish accent was less than convincing, but that isn't necessarily bad. The Scottish accent is hard to understand when done right, to the point that voice recognition devices still have a hard time with it.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:52 pm

El Bastarde wrote:A Star Is Born, fantastic.

Ewwwwwww

What didn't you like about it?
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:45 pm

What didn't you like about it?

Nothing. Haven't seen it. I was just poking fun about it being a sappy love story. I've heard good things, really.

Though I read about the one scene where he brings her on stage and it kinda made me roll my eyes. The guy does his whole show to a pump crowd and then for the encore he brings on some chick he has a crush on who no one has heard of so they can do a sappy duet of a song that no one's heard before. And then they show the crowd getting interested and whipping out their phones rather showing the massive amounts of people who would headed for the exits. I get it's movie magic but sometimes I wonder if the folks making these music movies have been to any actual concerts.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:24 pm

You should see it before you put it down.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:23 pm

El Bastarde wrote:What didn't you like about it?

Nothing. Haven't seen it. I was just poking fun about it being a sappy love story. I've heard good things, really.

Though I read about the one scene where he brings her on stage and it kinda made me roll my eyes. The guy does his whole show to a pump crowd and then for the encore he brings on some chick he has a crush on who no one has heard of so they can do a sappy duet of a song that no one's heard before. And then they show the crowd getting interested and whipping out their phones rather showing the massive amounts of people who would headed for the exits. I get it's movie magic but sometimes I wonder if the folks making these music movies have been to any actual concerts.

Wtf kind of concerts are you going to?
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:19 pm

^ The "Debut Duet With Your Crush" encore is pretty much the Wading in the Velvet Sea of the country scene.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:25 am

Ahh, thanks for the heady translation. Didn’t know it was that common.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Wtf kind of concerts are you going to?

You've never seen folks bail before the encore? Or start to leave if the band plays a lesser-known song in the encore? Happens all the time. I think we're so spoiled by the jamband experience we forget how normal concerts go.

Heck, I even have experience with the GF thing. I saw James Brown and he did this exact thing with some Spanish chick he was clearly macking on at the time coming on to sing a song of hers that no one knew...it was a mass exodus to the bathrooms and beer stalls. If this had been the encore, folks would have just left but even James Brown isn't that crazy.

(Seriously, I'm just making fun of the movie...I'm sure it was a cool scene).

The "Debut Duet With Your Crush" encore is pretty much the Wading in the Velvet Sea of the country scene.

True. But at least A) Folks have heard Wading before and B) They still followed it up with a rockin Zero.
El Bastarde

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion