Seen any good movies lately?

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Seen any good movies lately?

Postby Phinst » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:12 pm

fone wrote:
While they were gone, since Jaime was alone in his house, I left work early yesterday and picked him up for dinner and a movie. He wanted to see Straight Outta Compton, and I was fine wit dat. I'm glad I was because it was a pretty decent flick. Although I wasn't a big fan of NWA, I remember all the headlines they were grabbing, and for what it's worth, this movie allowed me to appreciate what they were doing in retrospect.

Story was crisp, acting spot on and the over two hour movie moved along briskly. You just have to like to hear the word 'fuck' repeated innumerable times over the course of the movie. Have actually been a fan of Ice Cube and Dr. Dre for a while, and the movie allowed some insight into their evolution to the point when I began appreciating them.

Give it a solid 8.5/10.

Love this! Glad you liked it. Especially from someone on the PA! :wave: Been wanting to see this, since I did grow up listening to NWA(6thgrade on) It's good to read someones perspective who really wasn't into NWA, but liked the movie.

Once I heard Dre and Cube were involved in the making I knew it was going to be a good movie/documentary and not one of your typically ones, where the people of the orginial group, etc... weren't involved and just told from some writers/directors perspective and how they wanted the movie to be.

The one thing I have wonderd though, do Mc Ren or Dj Yella have much of a role in this movie? Of all the trailers I have seen they seem to be missing from the clips. I understand Dre, Cube and Eazy are the big names, who will draw a audience, but Ren especially was a big part of that group, imo.

Was really hesitant to see this in a theater, but think I just might..
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:35 pm

The one thing I have wonderd though, do Mc Ren or Dj Yella have much of a role in this movie?

A funny review I read said the worst part of the movie was them "trying to imply that MC Ren was a good rapper"...so I guess he has a role.
El Bastarde

Postby Phinst » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:56 pm

Another vote for Straight Outta Compton.

Been wanting to see it so bad and finally decided I should go.

Film is fantastic. It's funny, sad, angry and inspirational. I don't know how any music fan couldn't appreciate it, even if not a fan of the group. Like Fone said.. with all the headlines they were grabbing, this movie would allow one to appreciate what they were doing in retrospect. And the movie itself makes a great case for why this story was worth telling.

The story was Very well told and moved along quite nicely even at 2.5 hrs while jumping back and forth between storylines. Honestly could of easily been 3 and still good. They didn't dig too deep but the movie allowed some insight into their evolution and what the group’s success meant to Compton, and vice versa. Would of liked to hear a little more of the Eazy E, Dr Dre fallout and Dre's Chronic release after. Also would of liked more depth on Mc. Ren. He wrote and Co-wrote a lot of material.

It is amazing despite the obvious talent, how this group made it and became what they were and still are relevant after just ONE album, Incredible.

I though Paul Giamatti was a good choice for his role and did a great job. Ice Cubes son also portrayed his father very well and was one of the other better characters,

I give the movie a 9/10 and plan on a return trip to the movies.

To sum it up like one writer said. "there are moments in Straight Outta Compton when the music is so thrilling and fierce, it’s enough to give you goose bumps"

Phinst

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:18 pm

how this group made it and became what they were and still are relevant after just ONE album, Incredible.

Agreed. Almost single-handedly created their own subgenre in one album. And I can totally see the music making the movie...that's part of the strength of The Doors movie...all those great tunes in background of scenes.
El Bastarde

Postby fone » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Watched "McFarland USA" last night as a rental. Kevin Costner and a cast of Mexican actors relating a "true" story about a cross country team in a rural town in the agricultural valley in CA.

Definitely worth the rental. No real surprises here because you kind of know the plot, otherwise Disney wouldn't have made a movie about it. But it's good sometimes to watch a "feel-good" movie, if only to renew your faith in human nature.

7-7.5/10
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby ghost » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:33 pm

I watched this for the first time last week. (Good ol Netflix):
That night I had a dream about snakes.

I watched this a couple days ago:
I had not seen it since it came out on video in 1987 or 88. I thought it was great then. It is still outstanding. (Opinion possibly influenced by an 11 year old me.) I remembered all of the movie. It was so familiar. It gave me a weird nostalgic feeling.
ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:41 pm

I watched this for the first time last week.

Always love how badass James Earl Jones is in Conan. He says very little in a lot of his scenes and he's terrifying.
El Bastarde

Postby piper » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:23 pm

I hate to compliment anything that that shithead Mel Gibson is involved with, but check out Apocalypto if you have not seen it. So badass.

piper

Postby willbreathes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:18 pm

^ Get the Gringo is great, too. Was made completely after the controversy.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby fone » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:22 pm

Saw two movies this past weekend, both were decent, but one I liked a lot more than the other.

Went out for dinner and a movie to see The Martian. Well produced, good script, Ridley Scott is a great filmmaker, and the ending sequence is really good. Good ensemble cast. But Matt Damon just left me flat, and unfortunately his was the pivotal role.

The other movie was a rental called 'God's Pocket' one of Phillip Seymour Hoffman's last roles. Quirky little film that has some incredibly strong acting performances and some pretty black comedic moments. Movies like this annoy Marie because she doesn't need to be reminded of the underbelly of the human condition when she watches a movie. She likes more escapism from film. I look at it as something to be thankful for, as in, there but for the grace of god.......

IMDB gives the Martian an 8.3 and Gods Pocket a 6.1. I felt these ratings should be reversed, but then again, maybe the critics enjoy escapism movies vice gritty ones like Marie.
Go down in your own way
You look down
fone
The Sage

Postby Harpua » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:29 pm

fone wrote:Went out for dinner and a movie to see The Martian. Well produced, good script, Ridley Scott is a great filmmaker, and the ending sequence is really good. Good ensemble cast. But Matt Damon just left me flat, and unfortunately his was the pivotal role.

I enjoyed The Martian, but when I read the book I thought "Man, that's some bad dialogue Andy. I hope they don't use this dialogue for the movie." Then they used a lot of the same bad dialogue book. It could have been a great movie. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but it could have been great. I have several other plot related critiques, but I don't want to spoil anything.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby fone » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Jaime and I took in a movie last night because Marie was out Easter shopping with Roni. We went to see 10 Cloverfield Lane because it had gotten decent reviews.

Jaime and I were both waiting what seemed to be an awfully long time waiting for the movie to get as good as the reviews indicated. Maybe that's because we like action flicks so much. But the damn movie kept our interest even though there was very little action, and by the time it was over, we kind of agreed with most of the reviews.

Had I known, I might have waited for it to be released on disk and not paid movie theater prices, but I'd give it a 8 to 8.5 rating. Kind of like a really good Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock movie.
Go down in your own way
You look down
fone
The Sage

Postby willbreathes » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Reminded me of the first Alien movie. Very rare to see a "slow burn" anymore. Everyone needs action action action, and two Avengers for every bad guy.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Oh, and I just saw BUZZARD, which is free to stream if you are an Amazon Prime member.

Very weird. Interesting story. Long drawn out shots. A static shot of someone eating spaghetti in bed for at least three minutes is something I didn't know I needed in my life... and I may still not need it.

willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Katiemay » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:31 pm

I am very interested in seeing 10 Cloverfield Lane. Glad to hear you guys liked it.

Late to the party as usual, I saw The Martian a few weeks ago after listening to the audiobook. I loved the book. I was hanging on the edge of worrying about whether he was going to make it or not. I thought the movie was ok, but they did a disservice to the main character in the way they chose to portray the book, making him much less dynamic. In the book, everything from his perspective is written in a log, so narrated by him. He's very clever and funny. All the technical stuff is explained in full detail as well as his thought processes about how he overcomes each obstacle. While I realize much of that wouldn't translate to film, it seemed like they took too much of it away and you just watched him do things without fully understanding what went into it. Also, a few major hurdles were left out of the movie and they changed the end, adding to the lackluster-ness for me.
I don't know why Damon got so much praise. It's not like he was bad, it just seems like it wasn't a very hard role to have to play. I bet it was because he lost a bunch of weight to show the character's weight loss. Physical altercation is all it takes to get nominated for an Oscar.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:12 pm

I was flipping around and came across the last Hobbit movie on TV. For one, I saw Gandolf in some ridiculous battle against the spirit of Sauron or something. Very confusing...why even bother having heavy teasing of Sauron when you already made the damn movies with him?

And after that was the riddle scene between Bilbo and the dragon...which is always one of my favorite moments from the book. And, like I figured, they just couldn't be true to the novel and have Bilbo wearing that ring without making it seem like the "weight of Sauron" was on him...this never happens in the Hobbit and without even seeing these movies, I knew they'd change it where it's such a "burden" to wear it. This is stupid and changes how Bilbo deals with many situations...in the book, he wears the thing for weeks on end.

So, they have Bilbo take off the ring and the entire conversation happens with Smaug seeing him. It makes Bilbo's "trickery" dialogue about being the "Barrelrider" and "Luckwinner" stupid since all those lines are him trying to throw off Smaug since he can't be seen...it doesn't make a lick of sense when he's standing right there. Heck, the entire reason Smaug leaves and then attacks the town is because he thinks Bilbo is from the town of man! God, I knew I'd hate these movies. In fact, outside of LOTR, all of Peter Jackson's movies kind of suck ass to me. They probably had Legolas be the guy to shoot the shot that takes down Smaug too, right?
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:50 pm

The Shape of Water was very good. It is a bit of a rehash (Beauty and the Beast, King Kong) but it is done incredibly well. I highly recommend it!

The Post was good...ish. I will say it was well made, and it is as exciting as a movie about publishing a news story can be. It would pair nicely with All the President's Men. There are elements of the story that are fictionalized to make it more compelling, which I can live with. They also bend over backwards to make it about feminism, and this decision doesn't make any goddamn sense at all. In reality, The New York Times had the story first, published first and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for the story (The Supreme Court case is called "New York Times Co. v. United States" for fucks sake), but rather than making The Times the focus, the story focuses on The Washington Post - a newspaper who only picked up the story after reading about it in a competing newspaper. They do this to make it more of a "one women vs a patriarchal society" movie. Because of this, there are a number of scenes that made me roll my eyes (and internally scream "THAT NEVER HAPPENED!") By attempting to be about two things (the importance of the press / feminism) the movie does suffer. All of that said, I would still recommend it to those who are interested in the politics of the Vietnam War, and the history of American journalism.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 pm

I'm surprised to see the Shape of Water getting all this Oscar buzz, seemingly out of nowhere. Like you say, it seems to be the typical Beauty and the Beast thing with littls surprises. So I assume it must be pretty well done to get all that attention.

Because of this, there are a number of scenes that made me roll my eyes (and internally scream "THAT NEVER HAPPENED!") By attempting to be about two things (the importance of the press / feminism) the movie does suffer

This is a big reason why I'm not big on movies based on major events...stuff like this always happens. Like in Cinderella Man when they make Max Baer out to be this evil foreigner when he was one of the nicest guys in boxing (and makes the fight look super-dramatic when it was mostly a blowout) or like in Zodiac when the movie very clearly portrays one of the suspects as the killer when none of his prints or DNA ever matched any evidence they had. Just feels like it's trying to taint the narrative. It's especially bad when it's some event I lived through and I know how the story actually went. I find it hard to get into these for the same reason.
El Bastarde

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Kong: Skull Island was great for what it was. I'm not a huge fan of the genre/franchise, so it might just be the expectations game - 4/5

Arrival was also pretty good. When the movie ended I wasn't quite sure if I liked it, but the more time I've had to digest it I really liked it - 4/5

I also recently watched The Lobster, and it was...uh...very British. Although after looking it up, the director/co-writer is Greek. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but I'm not really into that weird, dark "comedy" genre - 2.5/5
SirChompsAlot

Postby Phinst » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:26 pm

^ Totally agree on Kong. Saw it twice. at home and in the theater, which was really cool. thought it was a killer soundtrack and John Goodman and John C. Reilly were magnificent. and you always got love Sam Jackson

Loved Arrival(and those movies really aren't my thing)probably not as much as Moonlight and Lion but very good.

Get Out was fantastic! Baby Driver was really good and Atomic Blonde was good fun and well let's just say Charlize Theron :D

Want to see Three Billboards and Dunkirk(although I have heard mixed reviews on that one)

Phinst

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:14 pm

I also recently watched The Lobster, and it was...uh...very British. Although after looking it up, the director/co-writer is Greek. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but I'm not really into that weird, dark "comedy" genre - 2.5/5

Me neither. Sean of the Dead is one of those movies I just don't get where it's supposed to be funny but then had these brutal emotional moments and I'm thinking "Wait...am I supposed to find this part funny?" And the funny parts aren't really THAT funny...guess it's just me.

I really haven't seen any movies lately and I should. Have a bunch of them DVR'd. Should really dive into those.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Phinst wrote:
Loved Arrival(and those movies really aren't my thing)probably not as much as Moonlight and Lion but very good.

Get Out was fantastic! Baby Driver was really good and Atomic Blonde was good fun and well let's just say Charlize Theron :D

Lion was great. Get Out was great. I should have managed my expectations for Baby Driver a little better. My friends raved about it, the movie critics on WGN raved about it, so I went in with very high expectations. It was good but I would only give it a "B".
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:24 pm

I can't get past the name Baby Driver. Is it good in terms of an action flick? Worth watching if you're not gung ho for every action flick that comes along, especially if they have stupid names?

The Lobster seemed like something that would be right up my alley, but it was pretty terrible. I can't remember if I made it to the end or not.
Katiemay

Postby willbreathes » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Phantom Thread is the only Best Movie I haven't seen yet.

Of the other nine... the ranking goes:

Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
Lady Bird
Get Out
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
The Post
Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour

The top-two is a tough one for me. Really could go either way. Looking for realism, or fantasy.

Michael Shannon has become my favorite actor of the decade.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:41 pm

I'm surprised Shape of Water is getting all this buzz when it's basically just another Beauty and the Beast retelling. Must be really well done.

I saw Enter the Dragon on Saturday because I've never seen it. Cheesy and with a paper-thin plot but it's all about Bruce Lee kicking ass. And he does.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion