Disc Golf

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Disc Golf

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:52 pm

LOL! Yeah, I would say the vast majority of my rounds have been at the free courses. But the ratio is changing slightly, as now there are two pay-to-play courses with bars on the property.
:shock:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby willbreathes » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:49 pm

That's why I bring my 6 disc bag to ride side-saddle. 6 discs just about same size as 6-pack. :thumbup:
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Yep! My bag can handle about three brews, with all my discs.

^that's pretty much my bag, I think. Even matches my OKP handle.

Except I have a hetty Phish hemp Element in there.

And I avoid bottled water.

I mean, I have a bottle of water, I just water it myself.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 pm

This be mine that I use 99% of the time...

This is what Discraft gave out as a player package for last years Ace Race... perfect 6-pack holder :twisted:

willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:13 pm

This is mine.

Oops, wrong thread.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:44 pm

I left the course a little bent out of shape last game. I've kept my cool thru frustrations for the most part, haven't really let it upset me in a long time. But this last game just really got to me. My putting was way shaky and not confident, and my good driving didn't save me. At least my drives were good!

My last four holes of the day were 5 4 4 5 ... and I landed @ +5 (5 over "57 par"; 62) ... and you know what? It was far from my worst game, but I was right pissed for like a half hour.

I couldn't help imagining how much more angry I might have been if it'd cost me what you ball-n'-stickers pay. Or if I'd invested a six hour chunk of time, you know?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:52 am

I played 9 holes of ball golf in the morning, then tried to play 27 holes of disc golf in the afternoon. My arm noodled out after 20. Good day though.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Could have finished the disc if you put down the stick.
:thumbup:
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:46 pm

After playing three courses in Charlotte & Asheville, the home course is going to seem incredibly flat!
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:52 am

Went to DisneyWorld. Went to Universal Studios. Staying at Disney resort, so have to rent a car specifically for that Universal trek, and spend gobs of cash on that place too, right?

Now, my brother and a couple dudes went to a course in Orlando on Turkey Lake one time, this rare and funny disc golf trip to FL they took one time. Turns out the place is a 7 minute drive from Universal, so I started hatching a plan and packed some discs.

We only committed one day for this run, so we had to get the park in first, totally priority. It played out, and I couldn't believe my eyes, but our rides were done, and we were actually heading up for Turkey Lake.

My only window of opportunity got as close as the damn gate.

I wish I'd taken a picture. I'd got Diana to agree to let me an' Luke out for 9 holes while they go grab us some takeout .. which wasn't going over especially splendidly, really, ... when we pulled up and were politely told at 7pm, "The park closes at 7."
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Played in Maine for the first time!

A list of courses I have now played, in roughly chronological order:

Morley Field - CA
North Smithfield High School - RI
West Thompson Lake - CT
Buffumville Dam - MA
Pyramids - MA
Maple Hill - MA
Hodges Village - MA
Barre Falls - MA
Ninigret - RI
Crane Hill - MA
Cranbury - CT
Hyland Brewery - MA
Webster Fish & Game - MA
Hyzer Creek - NY
Charlton Woods - MA
Pleasant Hill - ME

Pleasant Hill's formerly a ball & stick course, if I'm right. It sure felt like it. Musta been nine holes though, pretty small. Par on the scorecard was 70, but they got a different idea of par there than they do in MA & CT, tell you whut. It looked like a typical par mid-fifties to me.

Anyway, I should make more of a point to venture to other courses. Everyone wants to go the same ones cuz they're close though, so 99% of the time it's the familiar courses.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:25 am

West Thompson Lake (Par "56") 10/21/12

433.324.432.28=56
:ugeek:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:46 am

Score has been a bit of a yo-yo lately, kind of aggravating. I think it's time to slow it down a bit & smell the roses ... I've been scrambling through life, trying to get back to the teebox all the time.

I shot four rounds at Webster Fish & Game from Wednesday evening to Saturday morning .. and the variety of scores was crazy. The Wed/Thursday rounds were +9/+10 respectively - or a 65 then a 66; ... but two rounds Saturday morning found me at a new PB first round: -1/0, or 55 then a 56.

Then today, Sunday, I stank all over again. I even finished quite smellly :eh:

Played one tough round at Newton Hill, but it was exactly average for me score-wise. I was beat up by bugs, bummer shots, heat, and trying to catch my breath from hurrying. Had to race back to run my son somewhere, so it didn't help ... hard to enjoy when you're rushing, not to mention hard to play well.

Late in the evening, I played what worked out to be only half a round. Lost my brand new (literally only about 5 hours old) Champ Boss on hole ten, and looking for it until giving up on that cost me the rest of the sunlight and the rest of my round. And man, I think that rough I'm in is among the most unpleasant of places like ever. I looked for it forever figuring the recovery would make it all worthwhile ... but instead my sneakers reek of oily swamp gunk. Disc not recovered.

I kinda think summer is the worst season of all for disc golf. You know, ... I've killed more bugs with my eyelids than I can count, and that's not too fun of a thing really.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:30 pm

I've won three of eight scrambles this year.

willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:39 pm

^sweet

I left work early - took the youngest and his buddy to a course, where they each lost their main disc. Having lost one myself in the last round I played, we all decided to go buy some plastic.
:thumbup:

Then we played two rounds at a new, like, miniature course at the pro shop, with these funny baskets ... they're pink w/narrower chains, and every hole is around 100'. Only six holes. I don't know whose crazy idea it was ... and I never thought I'd like it ... but we played it twice in a little over 30 minutes. It was a blast. Par is 18; I shot two 15's. My kid shot a -1/17!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:24 pm

Pyramids Pink Course @ Disc Golf Review

92 feet. :wtf:

Entire course is just 6 holes, par=18. Roughly 650 total feet.

We played this course twice in about a half hour, forty minutes. I was -3 on both rounds. :mrgreen:

Totally fun, every hole is an ace opp, lol. There's a pot too, you can put in a buck to the ace pot or to the course record pot.

Just silly easy and great for the kids. Certainly the highlight of our day, had more fun in that half hour than we did in the entire two hour proper 18 we did before that. The real courses can be such a drag for n00bs and kids. People can't even keep proper count of their scores on those!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby gamecat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:46 pm

That sounds like the perfect course for a noob disc golfer like myself.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby willbreathes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Never seen such skinny baskets!
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:02 am

The kid in this video that birdies Maple Hill gold hole 18 at the Vibram open is my friend Devon, played many games w/Devon. He's a hot shit, just getting his feet wet in tourneys (I never play 'em, myself. I've done one.). He's only like 19 or 20. I've shot that hole, years ago ... I just can't imagine birdie. There's a whole OB area between where he shoots and the green for crying out loud.

Anyway, he took second place in the entire VibrAM Open, very proud of my friend. You can't not appreciate this video.

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:14 am

willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:46 am

Played Ninigret in RI for the first time in five years this week. Then I went back for a second round. Played well I reckon. The course is highly gnarly howevah. I'll try and post pics at some point. This smartphone-from-the-beach thing is not easy. ::resumes tiny remainder of vacation::
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:08 am

Here's a few shots from my mid-August solo rounds at Ninigret Park, Charlestown RI. It's RI's only public course that I know of, and I've only played it three times - there are many courses much closer to me in neighboring states, than this one. And it's not the greatest course ... at least not in August.

Played from the white tees both times, can't imagine wanting to play blue. I actually took like ... many many pictures of those rounds. I don't know how many. A million maybe.

~~~

From today's game at Hyland Orchard. This picture is looking back at the 14th basket, from on the 15th fairway. So it's not a view of an actual shot, but it still gets the idea across.

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Up until around 2008 or 2009, I could get in nine holes of disc golf right in my own hometown. Then the @sshole f*ckhead vandals motherf*ckers loser f*cks stole a couple baskets in the night and then destroyed another. [There were only six in the ground; I made up a few teeboxes in order to get nine out of it.] So it was over at that point; only two or three left, and it's not the ideal disc golf environment anyway, so I haven't been there in years. Welp, I was there at the town's 'pumpkinfest' on Saturday, and there are five baskets in the ground.
:shock: :thumbup: 8-)
I'm psyched. It's nothing like the *real* courses I enjoy in nearby MA & CT, but each of those courses are 1/2 hr drive away at best. Now, (& its a timely discovery, with the diminishing evening sunlight) I can still throw a little bit on weekday evenings before daylight savings.

So that's exciting. It's been literally years, can't wait to get over there. Classic case of you don't know what you got til it's gone. In fact I talked to two people in the school phys ed department, and they're keen on restoring it to a full nine holes. Asked me to help them find an Eagle Scout looking for a project, or disc golf course grant funding, both of which I hope I can do...

~~~

Then yesterday morning I played in Webster MA and shot like an idiot. Practiced my putting real diligently
Saturday afternoon, then demonstrated the worst kind of putting mental disconnect ever the following morning.

Then Sunday evening had my first-ever round at Cross Farms of Tolland. Decent enough course. Shot like an idiot again though. Slightly better than the morning. Definitely turned the putting around for the better, anyway.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:19 am

Played the town's sorry-ass five holes today solo, and you know what? I had a blast. I'm gonna think about what I might be able to bring to the situation.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:37 am

Beautiful day today and got off work about 3:30... hit my local course, and played pretty well. 3's all around. Should have been some 2s, but also should have been some 4s.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion