Disc Golf

Anything non-Phish related.

The Remnants

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:59 am

I'm amazed that disc golf can just get better and better.

First of all, there have been so many brand new courses that have sprung up in the last 5 or so years since I got started. The courses themselves are getting cooler and cooler. Secondly I've got somewhat decent at it, which ... well I had my doubts the first couple years that I'd get there. And thirdly, with the rediscovery of a course less than ten minutes from me, I could have my head in the game a lot more frequently. Maybe even climb up a plateau, knah'msayinbrah

I just got back from the town high school course - the remnants thereof! ... that's what I should call it, "The Remnants"... North Smithfield High School and/or Middle School Athletic Fields is probably not even the official name, right? I don't guess it even has one. It's literally five leftover baskets hangin' around the outskirts of the athletic fields, and I've got my own teeboxes I invented. Since there are none.

Anyway, after being there twice this week, it's a thing now, I'm goin. I've plotted my course and I dig it.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Disc Golf

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:55 pm

And it gets better still.

Played Maple Hill in Leicester MA yesterday morning, for the second time this yr. I might have a new favorite course. At $10/day it's a little pricey, and it's nearly an hour away. But it's got four layouts to choose from, and all the tees have the deluxe treatment - brooms, tables, benches, carefully crafted tee boxes. Now they have a pro shop on site too.

I played like a moron though, couldn't putt yesterday somehow. Fly-bys jacked my score up, hey I hear it happens to smart people too.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Ace Race this Sunday, pumped.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Ace Race today, still pumped.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:29 pm

How'd it go? I shot two pretty average rounds this weekend ... early in the mornings ... hopefully that's awesome, I can't tell. Didn't get enough sleep to have perspective on nothin.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:05 pm

I got 0 aces, 2 metals.

One friend playing on our "card" had two metals... wastes no time to throw his last shot... and BOOM! he won with 1 ace, two metals.

edit- oh, and it was awesome!
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Disc Golf in Worcester this weekend.
Who Is In
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:21 am

Turned out to be me, Diana, Eric and Ryan, nine holes at Newton Hill before the Saturday show. Eric tied me actually, after a ridiculous hiatus from the game ... like since his wedding I think.

I just bought myself a 5 year membership at Webster Fish & Game, in Webster MA. :wtf:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:07 am

Okay, so I shot two rounds Saturday and three Sunday.

Saturday round 1: New personal best score, at Newton Hill in Worcester, +4 = 62.
Saturday round 2: New personal worst score at Webster Fish & Game, since the course opened Spring 2012. +16. Yowch. Trying not to look directly at the scorecard. My *short* putts were helpless to my psychological glitch ... kept missing VERY close putts, it was silly.

this morning, three rounds at West Thompson Lake in Thompson CT:
Sunday round 1: +3
Sunday round 2: +4
Sunday round 3: +3

Much better. Redemptive, even. My 12 yr old shattered his old PB, and then bested THAT score the second game. :thumbup: Solid day of disc golfing.

This weekend coming, I'm visiting my older brother in San Diego, where I intend to golf the disc outta Morley Field.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 pm

I bought 2 new discs this week and I tested them against a disc that I am comfortable with, an Innova Champion Katana.
1) Discraft Nuke SS (Titanium)
2) Innova Teedevil (Blizzard Champion)

The Katana and Nuke both have the exact same flight rating: 13 speed, 5 glide, -3 Turn, 3 Fade . The Nuke flew straighter for longer, but the results were pretty conclusive, both Katana and Nuke go the same distance, but the Katana ends up about 15 feet to the right of the Nuke.

I could not throw the Teedevil at all. It went whichever direction it wanted to, and as far as it wanted to. On average it flew about 25 yards further than the other two. How does one throw a Blizzard disc??? Keep in mind that I thrown RHFH.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Blizzards are infused with air bubbles, so expect them to fly like a fuckin crazy person. They're understable because of how light they are. Can be a useful tool in the bag, if u can learn it. Katanas and Nukes are cool though, really fast discs.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:28 am

Went out for a quick early morning round in Webster MA, and kind of wasn't supposed to ... but totally worked it out well, stayed a little bit late at work to make up for starting my shift a bit late.

We teed off at like 6:45am. Totally worth it, turns out: work ended up cool, and get this - I shot a 53, which is my best ever at this course (let's say about 100-150 games), and I got my fourth ever ace. So cool seeing a "1" hit the scorecard.
8-)

And, my day job makes weekday evening rounds difficult, and once Daylight Savings Time kicks off for the Winter, forget it, ain't happenin. But this was a nice change, I'm glad and kind of surprised I made it happen.

Federal holiday this coming Tuesday has disc golf written all over it.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:47 am

There's a danged disc golf course in the middle of Brooklyn, NYC. Not exactly. There's a defined course, with starting tee points and identified targets ... so no real baskets or tees, but holy crap, right? Prospect Park in Brooklyn, which is an enormous beautiful park that I would never have guessed existed, where it is.

I played holes 1, 2, 3 (kinda), 4 (kinda), 5 (kinda), maybe six or seven ... definitely 12 although I had the target wrong ... drove 13 but, pedestrians everywhere so no ... over to 17 & 18. I guess I aced 17, I mean I hit the target from my drive. It's mixed feelings on this experience. But my sister in law lives walking distance, and so there you have it.

That post is a 'basket'

Ahhhh .... the city.

The orange spraypaint is the teebox. :eh:

The tunnel is mandatory, but there was constant pedestrians. To be fair, I was playing when you're not supposed to play this course. It's seasonal. As in, you should play it when the weather is shitty so there's no people in the way.

Asked this dude to beware cuz I was throwing over his head. My drive sucked hard on swollen hairy donkey balls though and hit the tree branches dangling in on the left instead of flying deftly and impressively over said gentleman.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:39 pm

^I can totally see everyone else walking around there being totally annoyed by all these potheads flinging Frisbees around them when they're going for a stroll.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:59 pm

I'm bringing my small bag to Denver. Hoping the altitude doesnt kill me.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:16 pm

El Bastarde wrote:^I can totally see everyone else walking around there being totally annoyed by all these potheads flinging Frisbees around them when they're going for a stroll.

Yeah, NOBODY was playing. I only asked a couple people to watch out, and otherwise I couldn't attempt most of what I'd ordinarily do. Threw the mid-ranges a lot.

I think I actually should not have been playing, as per the course description. It literally says this at pdga.com: "Playable late fall to early spring (high pedestrian traffic in other seasons). Best played during inclement weather or weekdays before 3pm."

willbreathes wrote:I'm bringing my small bag to Denver. Hoping the altitude doesnt kill me.

Way to be :thumbup: Don't forget how much we like pictures here on the internet.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:14 pm

It literally says this at pdga.com: "Playable late fall to early spring (high pedestrian traffic in other seasons). Best played during inclement weather or weekdays before 3pm."

Bwahahaha. That's pretty funny. I guess there were enough demands for one that they said "Fine. Here's your stupid course in the middle of the park. Happy now?....Damn Hippies..."
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Tue May 16, 2017 2:04 pm

I am restocking my small bag (play bag) currently. I have a few old discs that are going to my big bag (stock bag), and will become loaner discs. Big bag discs are mostly beat up discs, or ones that I seldom or never use for various reasons.

Here are the changes:

1) Discraft Buzzz TI replacing an 11 year old Discraft Drone. The Buzzz is pretty much everyone's go to midrange. It should fly straighter than my Drone, but it will take some getting used to. This drone was my most consistent disc, but it is in pretty bad shape.

2) Discraft Avenger ESP replacing Discraft Nuke. I am sacrificing distance for control. I do not need that many high speed drivers in my small bag.

3) Innova Boss GStar replacing Innova Katana . Same distance; more control.

4) Innova Firebird Champion replacing a 12 year old Innova Firebird Champion. This is my favorite driver ever. Very low profile. Great for RHFH, and great in the wind. This is the disc I got my ace with, and many other miracle shots. I have gotten to the point where I am attached to this disc and I don't want to lose it, so it is being retired forever. I know it is silly.

Possible 5) I might pick up an innova Aviar putter to replace a Gateway Wizard putter.

I am attempting to develop a backhand throw this summer. I have heard that the Innova Valkyrie is the best disc for this. Does anybody have any input on this?

I work a desk job, which makes me almost completely sedentary for 8 - 12 hours a day. There was a point where I was able to spend half my day on my feet, and half my day in my office, but I am no longer able to do that. With this kind of job, it is difficult for me to get my 10k steps. My goal for this summer is to play a ton of DG.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed May 17, 2017 11:04 pm

A noble goal.

Are you saying you are all-forehand drives, currently?

I'd say that I use more overstable plastic for forehand shots, and more understable stuff for backhand. My backhand arsenal is:

Innova Star Roadrunner
Innova Star Roadrunner (2g heavier)
Latitude 64 Bolt
Westside King
Innova Pro Orc

Flick/forehand shots:
Innova Champ Wraith
Innova Champ Wraith (newer and more overstable somehow, maybe heavier)
Westside Catapult
Innova Champ Boss

I'll definitely backhand any of those forehand discs too, if I want the hard turn. The reverse isn't true for some reason; I only forehand the overstable set.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Thu May 18, 2017 1:11 am

^ I See you don't have any midrange discs there, do you not carry any midrange discs? Did you start with a long distance / fairway driver or did you start with a midrange?

I have been playing for 12 years. I tried backhand for my first season, but failed miserably. I played baseball for 12 years before ever picking up a disc, so my Flick / Forehand motion was just naturally much faster than my backhand.
My Backhand appears to top out around 5 or 6 (disc speed) :oops: .
My Forehand can reach that 12 - 13 range needed for high speed drivers.
I have gone seasons at a time without throwing a single backhand from beyond 150 feet.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu May 18, 2017 5:20 pm

I have a couple mids and carry four putters (just for the putting practice option). The go-to midrange is a Latitude 64 Opto Core, and the other one is an MVP Axl or somethin', I never remember what that thing is.

My backhand took years to develop, seriously. My forehand came along first, but I always scratch my head when a disc golfer only does one and not the other. Must be so limiting. It's like having a car that only turns right, never left. Highly recommend understable drivers, to get more distance out of the backhand. Also recommend working on the motion so that it's fluid w/plenty of follow thru. You don't need strength, just speed. Lots of wrist and loose motion. Get your fingertip to "pop" off the plastic and you'll gain a hundred feet.

This is making me wanna play, lol. Although this is the worst time of year for it, IMO. I prefer winter. I have fresh poison ivy rash, sheeeeiiit. Haven't had a tick bite yet thankfully.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Sun May 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Played a round with a friend today. It was windy and swampy. The strong wind isn't really conducive to learning backhand.

I did make a 100ft putt (Gateway Wizard) on the last hole, in crazy wind, so I was stoked about that.

I like how that (168g) Buzzz feels. I might pick up a lighter one to see if that adds some distance.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Mon May 22, 2017 1:15 pm

I won scramble yesterday.

Hoping to repeat today.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Mon May 22, 2017 3:52 pm

^ Are these scrambles something you and your pals do, or are these 3rd party organized tourneys? Either way, it sounds fun. I've never played a DG scramble, but the largest group I have played with in the past few years is 5 so there really isn't a reason to make it a scramble.

What discs do you take to the course these days?
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Tue May 23, 2017 7:50 pm

It's been a somewhat organized thing for as long as I have played (17 years or so).

Mondays at my home course, last night had 24 show up. A group, and a B group. Random pairings between A & B (A being the better player category). $5 to play, optional $1 for Ace, and $1 for random selected hole CTP. All money gets paid out, Ace Race carries over and gets capped at $100, right now there is about $250 in it... been a while since that got paid out. and CTP gets paid out immediately.

I currently carry 15, most max weight.

Champion Eagle
Star Destroyer
Champion Destroyer
Champion Roadrunner
Champion Viking
Champion Wraith
Champion Monarch
Star TL
Buzzz (don't recall types of Discraft plastic)
Comet
Champion Shark
Ace Race 2012 disc (I think it is called a Zombie)
Ace Race 2009 disc (I think it is a Focus)
KC Pro Aviar
Pro Rhyno

I think those are all correct. I really need to swap some out. I need a DX Roc again. Been too long.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion