Disc Golf

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Disc Golf

Postby willbreathes » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:42 pm

I didn't play yesterday. The "last Monday of the month" this time was throw with your partners bag. I didn't feel like someone using my discs, so I said feh.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harpua » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:03 pm

^ I couldn't do that! My bag is too customized to my game. Right off the bat, I wouldn't be able to use 1/3 of his/her discs, because as of right now, I don't throw any discs faster than a 9! The fastest disc in my bag is a Roadrunner. I'm sure that the person who I play with wouldn't appreciate having to use a bag that contains two Roadrunners (161g & 172g) and two DX Leopards (167g & 175g).

The other day I said this:
It is all coming together. I played yesterday and killed it on the holes that weren't lousy with mosquitoes.

As my arm warms up, I have to modify my throw (I'm sure I am not the only one). On the first 300+ ft hole, I have to throw, even the most under-stable disc, with an anhyzer. By the 6th hole, I have to throw the under-stable discs (especially the DX Leopard and Archer) with a hyzer to get them to straighten out. If not they curl to the right and crash into the ground pretty quickly.

Well, it seems that I spoke too soon.

My game is crazy inconsistent right now. Sunday -2 through 9. Monday, I don't remember exactly, but probably around E. Wednesday -4 ! (MY PR - 5 birdies and a bogey [I even managed to get a miraculous 3 on the 520' uphill monster]!) Thrusday +8!!! (My second worse round of the year!!!) That is a 12 stroke swing in one day. I even managed to hit the one goddamn tree the parks department didn't clear out of the swamp. There were three differences between Wednesday and Thursday. 1) I was play on 48 hours rest on Wednesday and 24 hours rest on Thursday. 2) My arm "warmed up" on by hole 5 (makes sense, I had thrown more by this point), so I was still compensating for a "cold" arm on my drive. It went nowhere near the direction I though it would. 3) I wasn't blasting my tunes on Thursday. Sunday I was blasting 7.16.17, "Jimmies" on Monday, "Powdered" on Wednesday.

I'm thinking rest today and tomorrow, and get back out there ready to kick some ass on Sunday.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Well, that didn't go exactly as planned.

Played an insanely difficult course today. Didn't keep score after the 3rd hole. I would like to go back in the fall, when the mosquitoes are all dead and the leaves have fallen.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:57 am

Dude I hate deep summer golf. The only other conditions that are worse, are when the snow is so deep that it becomes a chore to trudge thru, or if the wind and/or temps are unreasonable. July's the worst. Although the ticks aren't quite as bad as the spring, which is fer serious shit too.

As far as games being all over the place, I shot a +13 followed by a -4 (New PB @ Webster Fish & Game) for a 17 stroke swing from one round to the next. :wtf: That was last Sunday. It's like, who knows why we don't know how to play from one round to the next. Some shots I can't wait to throw. Others shots, I stand there petrified wondering how physics even works at all.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:39 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:Dude I hate deep summer golf. The only other conditions that are worse, are when the snow is so deep that it becomes a chore to trudge thru, or if the wind and/or temps are unreasonable. July's the worst. Although the ticks aren't quite as bad as the spring, which is fer serious shit too.

Yup. Yesterday I covered my skin/clothes/bag in bug spray (25% DEET), during the first round I was still harassed by mosquitoes. I applied a second layer before starting the second round, and that did the trick. Even the prairie style courses I play are bad right now.

Normally I'm done playing DG once it snows and I start up again once the snow is melted and the course dries out. This year I am gong to continue playing into the winter. I just need to figure out what kind of gear I need to stay warm, but not restrict my range of motion to the point that playing would be futile.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:24 am

My experience is you don't need much. You're moving, and if it's above 30 you just f'n put on a coat.

Also: Sock/bag/sock

Sometimes I'll throw a plastic grocery bag between layers of socks to help keep the feet dry and warm. Decent workboots is what I wear for shoes, year round actually.

Hoping to play Wednesday. My weekend attempts were both foiled. It's rare that I golf zero rounds on a weekend.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 am

I did not play well today, and the last three holes officially belong to the mosquitoes. There is no protecting yourself against these little blood sucker shy of a pith helmet with mosquito netting. I will play those holes again in October.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:10 am

^Summer's the worst for disc golf!

I feel like my disc golf life has been eventful lately. My game has improved a little, and the cast of characters has changed; crew is shifting around.

I played a new course in Woodstock Valley CT called Crystal Pond Disc Golf Course, and shot my ninth ace there on hole 11. Off a tree! Real nice course, too.

Also replaced my golf bag which was worn right the hell out. I wanted the exact same thing, a Fade Crunch ... the shop said they don't carry 'em anymore and I settled for a backpack style $30 Prodigy bag that is just awkward. Within 24 hrs I'd ordered myself a replacement Fade Crunch from Amazon. Just couldn't make the change. I'm stoked about the new old bag.

Late Saturday morning, I was headed for a new best score at my home course ... got to hole 12 at minus four. My PB there is like minus one. Not great, but whatever, I'm not here to be laughed at, leave me alone. So anyway I blew it ... double bogeyed BOTH 13 & 14, and then bogey'd 15 and 18 as well, to land at what is normally a respectable 58 but in this case sorta humiliating; okay go ahead and laugh, it's funny. I'm not laughin yet but I'll get there.

Only shitty thing about getting away from the summer months is, ... loss of daylight! I'll be lucky to get many worknight rounds in 'til March.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:02 pm

hosemasterflex wrote: ^Summer's the worst for disc golf!

I really don't like summer disc golf. Most of the courses I play are lightly wooded / prairie style course so you play under the unrelenting sun. By the end of the round, everyone is miserable. Sweating heavily and this causes the sun block and insect repellant to get in your eyes. There are all sorts of virus carrying assholes trying to make a meal of your blood, so you play in long sleeves and pants, and that makes the sweating that much worse... Ugh.

But Spring and Winter in Chicagoland are kind of a drag too.

hosemasterflex wrote: I played a new course in Woodstock Valley CT called Crystal Pond Disc Golf Course, and shot my ninth ace there on hole 11. Off a tree! Real nice course, too.

Nice, when your tree shots are going in, you know your game is on. ;)

hosemasterflex wrote: Late Saturday morning, I was headed for a new best score at my home course ... got to hole 12 at minus four. My PB there is like minus one. Not great, but whatever, I'm not here to be laughed at, leave me alone. So anyway I blew it ... double bogeyed BOTH 13 & 14, and then bogey'd 15 and 18 as well, to land at what is normally a respectable 58 but in this case sorta humiliating; okay go ahead and laugh, it's funny. I'm not laughin yet but I'll get there.

Dude, my local course is 9 holes, so I play it twice. There have been times where I shoot -2 on the front and +9 on the back. Playing the exact same holes.

hosemasterflex wrote: Only shitty thing about getting away from the summer months is, ... loss of daylight! I'll be lucky to get many worknight rounds in 'til March.

Yep. This is why I play so much more in the summer. Roughly once per week I work late. Even now I couldn't get 18 in on one of these days. Come late October, I won't be able to unless I am absolutely booking it getting home.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 pm

It is going to be 60 degrees when I get off work. This means I'm playing 9! I think I'll play with only my putter, and try to get my form back, seeing as I haven't really played in 3 months.

I played 9 holes in knee deep snow earlier this month, just for laughs and to get out of the house. It was the most physically exhausting round I have ever played, but it was probably detrimental to my game.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 pm

I played ok through 5, then the wheels fell off, bogeying 3 of the last 4 holes. The park was completely empty, so I blasted the second set from 6.17.1994. Teeing off on my first (real) round of 2018 to 2001 was an awesome feeling. If the temperatures stay above 40 I'll play another round today.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 am

I'm on break til my general anxiety dies down ... which probably means I'll get out either this weekend or next, lol. A break for me is one weekend off. I shot a terrible round with a lotta random weird shots, terrible uncontrollable putting. So I'm just using my practice basket last couple days, and not playing for right now. The rest of my life's been kinda on the intense side, so I suppose I'd better tend to it. For like a weekend or two lol.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 pm

After nursing a shoulder injury for a few weeks, I finally got back out on the course, and my putting was on from the word "go." It felt like I couldn't miss from inside 30". My drives were off on some of my higher speed discs (which I expected), but with my under-stable drivers I had a few bombs straight down the middle of the fairway. Unfortunately those long open fairway holes are few and far between on this course. About half of the course is in the woods, so the play is more technical and less "grip it and rip it." I'm going to rest my arm again today, but try to get back out there tomorrow!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion