Any gamers up in this piece?

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Any gamers up in this piece?

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Anyway, I plowed through that Neutopia game I was playing in a few days. Wasn't that great but not bad. The difficulty ramped up a little bit in the last few dungeons but nothing so bad where my potions didn't take care of it. A few of the bosses could have been crazy tough if I just used the sword...there's a fire wand where the power of the flames is based on your HP meter. At high HP, the flame travels across the screen, goes through obstacles and can hit a bunch of times in a row...I basically HAD to use this to survive those fights since these enemies had a small opening to hit and it was hard to hit from up close since they'd shoot projectiles at the same time. A "sword only" run in this game would be a legit challenge.

Anyway, I jumped from one Zelda clone to another in Darksiders 2. Quick thoughts...

-Once again, the game is great with names...part 1 had great names for the areas in the world like the Broken Stair, Anvil's Ford, The Hollow and, my favorite, the Choking Grounds. Darksiders 2 has the Shattered Forge, The Crucible, Drenchfort, Baneswood and the Weeping Crag. Great stuff.

-The combat is cool but so far I've really found only one combo that I seem to like way more than the others in scythe, hammer, hammer, hammer. For some reason the hammer combo is WAY quicker if you do a scythe move first...I tried the gauntlets and they actually seemed SLOWER than the hammer because you have to wait for the multi-hit combo to end before you can cancel out of it...dodge cancels seem to work better on one-hit attacks.

Speaking of, the dodge is pretty sweet in the game and works nicely with proper i-frames and all that. I was able to take out both both Thane and Gorewood due to crazy dodging and hit-and-run antics. Both mini-bosses could kill me in one hit and my Level 5 guy was able to take them out by avoiding hits. Gorewood was especially fun since I got the idea that I wasn't supposed to fight him yet and yet I went at it anyway. I died a bunch but I learned his attacks better and better (the range of each attacks, how to tell what he'll do, etc) to where I felt like a stud when I took him down. I'm currently in another optional area and I got my ass whupped by this fight against a pile of enemies with lava pouring on the battlefield...it's brutal...spent an hour on it last night and still no luck. It's nice to get some legit challenge.

-The loot system is okay but you get lots of junk...I had to start weening myself off of checking my inventory every time I picked up something to keep from getting obsessive. I do like how you have to weigh different perks against each other...do you want to siphon HP from critical hits or just boost the rate of criticals?...Or maybe just go raw power? I find myself leaning to making a critical hit machine...they help a lot.

-Also like how there's tons of sidequests and places to check out...I already have quite a list of stuff I couldn't get to so I wrote them down. At the same time I like there being optional mini-dungeons that you can head into...the whole path to fight Gorewood (an optional boss) was on the way to the plot dungeon I was supposed to go to and had its own small dungeon to go through to get to him...not bad for a side path.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:01 pm

No updates here?

I'm still on Darksiders now. The most surprising thing is how huge the game is. It's like the size of three Zeldas with the huge amount of dungeons and content. And they keep it fresh by always introducing new elements every few dungeons.

Playing with the loot system is pretty cool...I've got a few specific perks (critical damage/ critical rate/health steal) that I focus on for my weapons and these can change how you fight at times. Nicely done.
El Bastarde

Postby Buster » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Been playing the new COD:AW quite a bit lately. Liking it a lot more than Ghost's. Most are saying it's a lot like Black Ops 2, but I never played COD before Ghosts so I wouldn't know.

Love the new exo suit abilities, adds a lot to the game, even though most of the exo abilities (other than jumping, dodging, and a 1 or 2 others) are mostly useless IMO. Been having a blast so I have no complaints.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Love the new exo suit abilities, adds a lot to the game, even though most of the exo abilities (other than jumping, dodging, and a 1 or 2 others) are mostly useless IMO.

The exo-suit stuff reminds me of a game called Vanquish…had a lot of the same things as well as the cooldown meter for it. Why are they useless?...Leave you too open to attack?

I finished my Darksiders 2 run so I was going to move onto Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies. I went on a message board on it and it turns out that the previous Ace Attorney game, Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2, (originally not released on the US) just had a full fan-made English patch finished for it so if I got the Japanese ROM and played it on an emulator, I could patch it to play it in English. So I’ve been going with that right now. The patch is pretty darn good…they even edited in English to some of the background art and such. The game itself has been pretty fascinating so far...
El Bastarde

Postby gamecat » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Also been playing a lot of Call of Duty. Love the multiplayer.

Gonna be picking up Far Cry 4 tomorrow. :thumbup:
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby Buster » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 pm

gamecat wrote:Also been playing a lot of Call of Duty. Love the multiplayer.

What console are you on for CoD?
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby Buster » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:03 pm

El Bastarde wrote: Love the new exo suit abilities, adds a lot to the game, even though most of the exo abilities (other than jumping, dodging, and a 1 or 2 others) are mostly useless IMO.

The exo-suit stuff reminds me of a game called Vanquish…had a lot of the same things as well as the cooldown meter for it. Why are they useless?...Leave you too open to attack?

Most of them just seem pointless to me and I don't feel like they do much. One is a brief invisibility but you you're still clearly visible IMO. I try to make a point of pwning anyone invisible. Exo Shield, just gives you a shield for a brief amount of time. I hate shields, they're for pussies. Another one boosts your health, there's a hover ability, but it just makes it extremely easy to kill anyone that is hovering at that time.

I'm sure many can find them helpful, but not for the way I personally play.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby henrietta » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:04 pm

:thumbup:

Come play Battlefield 4 with the adults.... :D
henrietta

Postby goldenroad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:12 pm

henrietta wrote:

Come play Dark Souls with the adults.... :D

FYP.

But yeah, I haven't posted much, because I haven't bought a new game since Destiny (blech)...well "NEW" game anyway. I have Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4 and Little Big Planet 3 in the mail on their way here (hopefully will be there when I get home!!).

For the most part, I haven't been playing a ton of different games. I started playing Metro Redux, which are up-res'd, current generation versions of Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light, which I never played on 360/PS3. It's seems really awesome. It's got a bit of that European shooter jank that you get from these Eastern European development teams, but it's got a fantastic story and setting. It's actually based on a series of Russian novels about the Soviet Union surviving a kind of nuclear holocaust and the world is overrun by mutant monsters, but so far I'd say the game is divided almost 50/50 into shooting segments, and wandering around these encampments (all of which are in the Subway/Metro tunnels underground) and talking to NPC's and getting a lot of back story. It's pretty awesome actually, but again, it just feels like I'm playing last-gen games on my PS4, which is kind of annoying, considering most of the games I've played this year have had the same limitations. I won't go off about all the broken-ass games coming out right now, but it's really scared me off of buying any more new games for the foreseeable future.

Other than that, I'm basically dividing my time between smaller indie titles and some palate cleanser games. Playing a ton of Binding of Issac Rebirth on the PS4. It's a Rogue-like top down shooter, with a very original (NES) Legend of Zelda feel to it. It's really disturbing. Powerups include things like "your mothers pad" , and yeah, there is a lot of poo and blood, but it's done in a cartoony 16-bit style, so it's not too horribly gross, but if this were done in a realistic art style you would be puking the entire time playing it. It's a really tough game because it's all randomly generated. There are only 6 levels, but they change every time, including the power ups you pick up. I can consistently make it to the final level, but I've never made it to the final boss. It's a great game to just throw on and play while listening to music/podcasts.

Also playing Lego Marvel Superheros (like all the adults here!). It's funny and clever and plays like every other lego game I've played. I probably won't beat it, again like every other lego game I've played, but for $5, it's a nice break from the difficulty of Issac and the bleakness of Metro.

My other palate cleanser game has been Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins. I'm talking the old Gameboy game. It got released on the 3DS virtual console, so for $3, I figured I should give it a shot, since I loved it as a kid, and I've got to say, it holds up really well. Like that game is a ton of fun. There is not a ton of content. I'm sure anyone can beat it in 3-4 hours, but it's really creative and has a ton of enemies and level-types that I don't think ever re-appeared in the Mario universe. There's the pumpkin world that has these dudes with hockey masks with knives sticking through them...and yeah, just some fun level design.

Is anyone here playing COD on PS4? I'm thinking of picking it up if it goes on sale next week since it feels like a long time since I played a COD game, but all I'm really interested in is the multiplayer. We'll see, I think in the next couple weeks I'll have a lot to play, so I probably won't get it anyway...but I feel like I need to pick something up on Black Friday, and I'm really torn between a Wii U and an XBOX One. I really want to play Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze....that's about it for now on the Wii U, but I also really want to play Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 and Halo: Master Chief Collection on the XB1....I don't know. I'll probably end up not being able to decide and getting neither, but I'm really leaning towards a Wii U if I can get the system with one of the games I want bundled for $250 or less.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby willbreathes » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Is Batman Arkham Origins worth trying out?
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Buster » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:54 pm

henrietta wrote:

Come play Battlefield 4 with the adults.... :D

lol, I have Bf3, but it just seems too slow paced for me. I'll have to give Bf4 a go though
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby goldenroad » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:41 pm

willbreathes wrote:Is Batman Arkham Origins worth trying out?

Yes. It's good. If you liked the other Arkham games, you should enjoy it. It's pretty much the exact same formula as Arkham City. The Mr. Freeze DLC is pretty solid too if you can get that bundled in.

I just caved and bought a Wii U this morning. It came with NintendoLand and Mario 3D World, and was about $100 off. I figured I probably would not find a better deal by waiting another week. So yeah...Mario time!!!
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby Brother » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:01 pm

You bought a Wii U but you didn't buy the new Super Smash Bros 4?
Brother

Postby gamecat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Buster wrote:

What console are you on for CoD?

Xbox One

you?
Anybody else on XboxOne?
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby henrietta » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:24 am

goldenroad wrote:

Yes. It's good. If you liked the other Arkham games, you should enjoy it. It's pretty much the exact same formula as Arkham City. The Mr. Freeze DLC is pretty solid too if you can get that bundled in.

I just caved and bought a Wii U this morning. It came with NintendoLand and Mario 3D World, and was about $100 off. I figured I probably would not find a better deal by waiting another week. So yeah...Mario time!!!

I LOVE playing my son's Wii U with him. Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Bros. U are the shit. Gonna get him Super Smash Bros.for Christmas.
henrietta

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Yes. It's good. If you liked the other Arkham games, you should enjoy it. It's pretty much the exact same formula as Arkham City.

Plus you can get it for like $17 now so it's no big loss. I have it but haven't played it yet. They said it's not quite as good as the first two but still plays a lot like the previous ones. The new Arkham Knight game looks pretty wild since Rocksteady is back making that one and they're making it as a finale as they'll be done with the Arkham games after that one.

I've had a Wii U for about six months now and don't have any Wii U games for it. Mostly because I got it to play Wii games...so I have a bunch of those. Plus all the good Wii U games take forever for the price to drop so I'm playing a big waiting game...heck even some of the Wii games won't drop in price. I'm not that big on Smash Brothers anyway...I've never been one for fighting games...I played the N64 one back in the day but none of the ones out since.

. I really want to play Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze...

I'll get some Wii U stuff eventually...especially Bayonetta 2 which is a sequel I've been looking forward to...Bayo 1 is maybe the best hack and slash game I've played in the last decade. Also want the Mario games ("New" Mario 1&2 + 3D Mario), Donkey Kong and the Lego City Stories game. For the Wii games, I may start Punch Out next when I'm done with this Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2 game. Speaking of, it's pretty darn good...glad I got the translation for it. Only gripe is that it's mostly text so it's a little slow paced but I knew that going in...only problem is I tend to nod off during these games way more than the others...oh well.

haven't bought a new game since Destiny (blech

I've heard good and bad...like how missions are repetitive and the story is nonexistent (though who plays for the story?) but they said the game is still fun. I doubt I'll get it but it's an intriguing game.

started playing Metro Redux, which are up-res'd, current generation versions of Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light

I've read a lot on these two games and they seem really well done...the first is especially praised for the great atmosphere and while they say the second doesn't quite capture that, they say it's still good.

Also playing Lego Marvel Superheros (like all the adults here!).

I just got this one for $17 in the stores myself. I plow through all the Lego games...though I still need to play the Lord of the Rings one. I'll be skipping the Hobbit one because the one that came out only had the first two movies...you know they'll put out another with all three movies so it's pointless to get the first one.

My other palate cleanser game has been Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins.

Love that game. They do just enough to spice up the levels with the hidden paths so you search a lot but they don't do too much. I always loved the Mario Robot level...just really cool design. Plus the bossfights against Wario were always legitimately tricky for me. I assume you've tried the GBA games with Wario that came out after that? Both Wario Land 1&2 were excellent...probably better than the Mario Land games.

I'm also hoping someone gets me the new Kingdom Hearts 2.5 for Christmas. It's got the "Final Mix" version of KH2 which added in a ton of new bosses and features and is like 10 times better than the normal Kingdom Hearts 2. Plus they have the Birth By Sleep game which only came out for the PSP previously and I never bothered to get those so this will be the first time I can play it.
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 pm

I'll probably pick it up when I get bored with Kart, but man, that could be a ways off. Kart is awesome! So is 3D World. So is Bayonetta 2.

So is Dragon Age: motherfucking Inquisition. I may have never had so many great games on the go at one time...it's really tough to find a balance, but I need to spend more time with Bayonetta.

Both Wario Land 1&2 were excellent...probably better than the Mario Land games.

I've for sure played the first Warioland game, not sure about the second, but I'll look into it. Speaking of which, I can't get over how expensive the Wii U virtual console games are. I mean $7.99 for Super Mario World?! Really? I know it's a great game, but come on, it's a SNES Game! This is why people pirate games Nintendo! Just make 'em $3 each and I'll buy them all. Deal? I take it Reggie or Iwata read this thread.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:45 am

Kart is awesome! So is 3D World. So is Bayonetta 2.

I'm cool with Kart games but usually don't play them a lot. I've heard a ton of good things on 3D World so I'm pumped for that. Bayo 2 looks like it's loaded with extras and I spent a ton of time on the first one unlocking stuff.

So is Dragon Age: motherfucking Inquisition. I may have never had so many great games on the go at one time...

I never could get into Dragon Age...I think I'm just done with Bioware in general as all their stuff feels the same to me...Baldur's Gate was a long time ago.

And I'm not one to try multiple games at once...would be too much to keep up with...I'm baked half the time I'm playing anyway so it's hard to remember what I'm doing in just one. Though, I'll admit that playing this Miles Edgeworth game does get me itching for a game with more action...but I'm sticking with it...the fourth case is pretty interesting. I'm leaning to trying Punch Out for the Wii next...always loved the other Punch Out games.

I've for sure played the first Warioland game, not sure about the second, but I'll look into it.

Warioland 2 is probably my favorite out of any of them. They actually do away with dying altogether so you gang powers by taking damage from various things in the world...there's tons of hidden exits and chests and the puzzles are pretty clever.

Speaking of which, I can't get over how expensive the Wii U virtual console games are. I mean $7.99 for Super Mario World?!

Ick. That's weak. I already have all the NES/SNES/GB games I want via an emulator so I don't much worry about it. And I have all the SNES ones in a box somewhere so I could fish them out if I wanted.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Been playing Punch Out for the Wii. Pretty dang good and it captures the classic game nicely. What's cool was how I fought each guy legitimately the first time, then I looked up a guide on them...it's cool seeing how many clever counters you can do to accumulate stars or how many "instant KO" or "instant knockdown" moves there are for each fighter...you really learn the fight in a different way to where you can just own it the second time arounf. Plus, once you get through all the fighters, you play them again on "Title Defense" mode...it's the same guys but they all have completely diffent movesets and they're pretty brutal...I got knocked out by Glass Joe twice on this mode.

Then there's neat challenges to meet like "Win the fight in a minute" or "find five ways to get stars" or other stuff like that. Just finished those last night. Now I'm on the "Last Man Standing" mode where they throw random fighters at you until you lose...and the hidden fighter in Donkey Kong showed up...he kicked my behind nicely so I hope to get back at him tonight.

Won't have much left to do in this game after that so I think I'll start up Prototype 2...been holding onto that game for a while now. Always enjoyed the first one and the surprising challege but I've heard the sequel isn't quite as tough (isn't that always the way?). Either way, we'll have to see on that one.
El Bastarde

Postby gamecat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Really enjoying Far Cry 4.
Gonna go all out on that game during Christmas break.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Yeah that game looks like a lot of fun.

Been playing Prototype 2 these days. I gotta say that no game handles the feeling of free movement and speed as this one…you can race across the entire map in a minute by jumping off the side of building and soaring over everything via long leaps. It’s a bit easier than the first game but still fun.
El Bastarde

Postby henrietta » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:54 pm

henrietta wrote:
goldenroad wrote:

I LOVE playing my son's Wii U with him. Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Bros. U are the shit. Gonna get him Super Smash Bros.for Christmas.

I said fuck it and got him Smash Bros last weekend (he had a great report card). Got him the 3ds XL for Christmas with Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Can't wait to play it while I wait for him at taekwondo practice. Gonna grab Zelda for me.
henrietta

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:20 pm

^Neat thing about the 3DS is the very cool 3D toggle. The 3D looks really cool at times but doesn't work as well for fast-paced action so it's nice to be able to quickly shut it off when the action picks up. I haven't gotten the newest Zelda but I will be eventually.

I'm holding out that I get the new Kingdom Hearts "2.5" collection for Christmas. Has the previously unreleased "Final Mix" version of KH2 (which I imported but it'd still be nice in English) and their PSP game which I never played since I never got a PSP. That one will get pushed to the top of the list if I get it.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:41 am

Just picked up Assassin's Creed Rogue.

I was apprehensive at first. The idea of two major releases in one year made me assume Rogue, the lesser title, would be rushed and sloppy. But boy was I wrong. The characters weren't as colorful as they were in Black Flag, but they were still stronger than the characters in III. The story was pretty cool, you play as an assassin turned templar assassin hunter, and they bring back a few characters from III and Black Flag. Albeit the story is not as good as II, Brotherhood, or Black Flag, but still very solid.

Overall I would call it classic AC, and I can't wait to play Unity.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:22 pm

I was apprehensive at first. The idea of two major releases in one year made me assume Rogue, the lesser title, would be rushed and sloppy. But boy was I wrong.

What many people don't realize is there's like three separate "AC Teams" that work on those games. So, while it seems they're piling more work to make multiple games, most of them have been in production for a good three years or so. The games aren't perfect when it comes to glitches, but I find they're not too bad. I still need to play AC myself.

Over Christmas I played Lego Lord of the Rings...as always, a quality game with lots to do and some funny takes on the classic LOTR scenes...most of the levels were pretty creative.

And, I got my Kingdom hearts 2.5 collection for Christmas and started on Birth By Sleep which is the PSP game I never played. It's quite addicting so far and with lots to do whether it's upgrading commands or learning abilities or working on leveling your finishers and such. It also has (so far) had completely unique worlds not used in the other games so that's refreshing.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion