Overstep - Mike Gordon

Discuss Phish side and solo projects.

Overstep - Mike Gordon

Postby delayloop » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Mike Gordon
Released: February 25, 2014 (Megaplum/ATO Records)
Format(s): CD, LP, MP3

Gordon and Scott Murawski penned the songs for Overstep during a series of writing retreats in New England. He turned over the producing reins to Paul Q. Kolderie (Radiohead, Uncle Tupelo, Pixies) and invited a few new players into the studio, including legendary drummer Matt Chamberlain (Jon Brion, Fiona Apple). Distant industrial noise gradually gives way to lush guitars and welcoming vocal harmonies in “Ether,” the album opener (listen to the track here), while “Jumping” is a rhythmic puzzle box, detailing a series of thoughts that take place in a fleeting 1.5 seconds.

Many of these songs promise huge payoffs in a live environment, most notably two plunging grooves that seem capable of bringing a house down. “Tiny Little World” opens with a polite reverie about a fetching woman in a coffee shop, but morphs quickly into pulsing boogie as the narrator is carried away by desire and bravado. Debauched exhortations to dance surface again in “Face,” which chugs along atop Chamberlain’s simple but undeniable pocket.

The songs on Overstep also speak to Gordon’s evolving ability to develop three- dimensional characters, and to speak more directly to the truth of their condition. He hasn’t lost his appetite for metaphor, and he still leaves plenty of room for interpretation, but listeners may find themselves recognizing the human portraits in songs like “Say Something” and “Paint” in a way they haven’t in Gordon’s previous albums. Still, happily, Gordon embraces absurdity as he always has – conceptually, lyrically, and musically.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Overstep - Mike Gordon

Postby delayloop » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Anyone have opinions yet?
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby willbreathes » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 pm

Solid musically. I grew tired of Gordon singing towards the end of it though.

Love Yarmouth Road on it.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby booztravlr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Not as complete an album as Inside In but still enjoyable. The first 5 tracks are great, minus Jumping... it's pretty terrible and makes me agree with Will's comment above about being tired of Gordon's singing by the end of the album. Don't remember any particular standouts from the second half of the album but I've only listened to it 2-3 times all the way through.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:58 am

I have no problem with Jumping. Maybe I'll reconsider though, heh. I only heard it a couple times.

And contrarily, I find the use of another lead vocalist (is it Scott?) refreshing, and Mike's vocs strong. I might have grown tired of Mike's vocals on Moss by the end, but not here.

I just got the record in the mail with Fuego, and I'm totally digging it. I wasn't really into buying it, just kind of got it cuz I have the rest of the Mike solo vinyl (and sometimes you better just get it at retail before it's an ebay monster). But I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. It's pretty kick ass.

All the Mike solo records are a nice addition to the ol' record collection. Colored vinyl for all four releases, and strong material and artwork taboot.
:thumbup:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Return to Phish Side/Solo Projects