Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:06 am

Trey's new album, and it's streaming on npr until the end of tonight:

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/21/449172747 ... per-wheels

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Trey's Paper Wheels

Postby goldenroad » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Album is garbage. Maybe the worst thing Trey has ever released. Makes his last album sound like a masterpiece. Extremely disappointed. Liquid Time is it's only redeeming song IMO.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:51 am

Glad I'm not the only one. I don't have a lot of Trey solo, and didn't get that last one - The Traveler? But the wife had this streaming on npr, and I was like, oh god put in your earbuds. No joke, not even sure if it's the lyrics or if it's the singing. Maybe both. Not digging it. :?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Phinst » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:14 am

I enjoy the album, esp after giving it a few needed listens. I find it fun, easy and breezy! I think some songs could develop into some nice jams. The band-music sounds really good and fresh throughout, which was my one gripe about Traveler was that it was over produced imo. I think the instrumentation overall is some of the best work as far as studio releases. Trey sounds fantastic on the guitar, really good tone and there is Some really nice playing going on, check out the ending of never. I will say that some of the lyrics-singing is not great, but I have kind of come to expect this now as he releases more albums, so it really wasn't a surprise.

In rounds is a great tune. Very meters like.

Other good tracks are sometimes after sunset, never, lever boy, bounce, liquid time and speak to me
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby delayloop » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:56 pm

I liked Traveler, but did think it lacked Trey's "homegrown" feel that was present on his previous records.

"Paper Wheels" is a bit bland, lyrically. But that's come to be expected in recent years. The mix is great and makes me feel like I'm right there in the barn with the band. A few tunes sound like they could be from "Hands on a Hardbody" and might have been, which I'm not super excited about, but whatever.

Listen to the album twice through. If you haven't opened up by then, then you won't. And if you can't get into "Speak to Me," or "In Rounds" then there's actually no hope for you. At all.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Maybe I'll check it out at some point. Reasonably likely that there's no hope for me at all.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Although, I did just start listening to Dream Theater, after years of not being able to stomach *their* lyrics. Snobbery'll get me nowhere, I realize this.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Moma Dave » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:33 pm

It's growing on me with each listen through. It's got some great grooves. I can't wait to see them this Sat at the Fox in Oakland!
I'm left in the now with a wondrous glow
I think I'm still me but how would you know?
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Makes his last album sound like a masterpiece.

But Traveler already WAS a masterpiece.

I will agree this one is certainly lacking...I like maybe half the songs but the jams on the end of the tunes kinda "save" a few of the songs for me.

The band-music sounds really good and fresh throughout

Yeah, this is kind of what I like about it. You can't get these albums and expect to hear Phish music. Trey's clearly using this band to do stuff he can't do with Phish...hence the emphasis on the lyrical interplay and such. And, yeah, I've been used to kinda cheesy lyrics from Trey for a while now...though I wish they were more literal at times. Can only take so much metaphysical mumbo-jumbo before it starts to go in one ear and out the other.

I've been listening to it almost every day in the car since last week...so I've got a pretty good grasp of what works and what doesn't.

Song by Song:

1. Sometime After Sunset - Kinda "meh" on this one. Nice interplay with the lyrics but that's it.

2. The Song - Good tune. Nice happy beat, it's fun to sing along to and it's quite catchy.

3. Never - A bit "meh" here as well. Wasn't that great a tune to begin with...the freeform jam at the end is really very chill and "saves" the tune in a way.

4. In Rounds - Easily my favorite song on the album. The lyrics are silly but I still find myself singing along and the groove is excellent...I can see them jamming the fuck out of this thing. Could even picture Phish playing this one.

5. Flying Machines
6. Invisible Knife - I lump these together since they're the same to me...pretty weak opening few minutes to both songs with kinda meh singing and lyrics...but the chorus and the jams at the end of the songs just "work" for me...they both finish well.

7. Lever Boy - Pretty bad song, nice jam to "save" it.

8. Bounce - A pretty silly song with an unusual intro. The song's a lot of fun and quite happy and I can see them having a ball with playing it live. A bit cheesy but who cares?

9. Liquid Time - Definitely a sweet tune and it's nice to hear a studio version that isn't just Trey on an acoustic. And is it just me or do I always hear bits of Sultans of Swing with this song?

10. Paper Wheels - Kind of a catchy upbeat song but it doesn't quite work for me.

11. Speak To Me - Basically a jam engine song, yes? I don't even remember the lyrics but the jam is quite nice.

12. Cartwheels - Total dud of a song that doesn't work for me. Weak end to the album.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:27 am

Pretty good stuff.

I've always been a fan of Shine, and I would call this Shine Jr.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Phinst » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:06 am

The only really songs I skip are

The song, Invisible Knife and Cartwheels.

Still up in the air on paper wheels

8. Bounce - A pretty silly song with an unusual intro. The song's a lot of fun and quite happy and I can see them having a ball with playing it live. A bit cheesy but who cares?

Agreed. They could def take this one for a ride. two things though.. one I believe it's been in TAB repertoire for a few tours now, but maybe since it's been officially released?? other thing is I could see it as A BDNTL, where people would cringe and hate the first part till it gets to the gravy.

The other song I could see them doing is speak to me.

Phinst

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:29 pm

other thing is I could see it as A BDNTL, where people would cringe and hate the first part till it gets to the gravy.

I find the Bounce intro to be different since it's intended to be slow...it's kind of like a buildup to the fast part so it's more about anticipation to when the song opens up. BDNTL just has an awkward intro and it'll always have an awkward intro.

The other song I could see them doing is speak to me.

Technically, they did it in Utah in 98. :mrgreen:
El Bastarde

Postby Phinst » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:28 pm

^ i See what you did there

Phinst

Postby PardonMe Doug » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Finally just gave this a listen. I don't really like the songs save for a couple of them (In Rounds and some other one I'm not sure what it's called, was listening at work). The lyrics and lead vocals are weak. But, the guitar work is pretty fabulous throughout the album, which for as much as I enjoy Traveler it seriously lacks. I agree with the previous thoughts on the production, quality is great and sounded like I was standing in the barn while listening.
PardonMe Doug

Return to Phish Side/Solo Projects