Bar 17: What Say You??

Discuss Phish side and solo projects.

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:19 pm

^Not for all of us ... I like the jams, but it is not the highlight of Phish's good points for me.

I really value songwriting & composition, and especially studio recording ... improv is great, but as much as it's freeing, it's also limiting.

That's another reason I like old shows ... the jams were still great, but generally shorter ... more songs per show, and better songs!

I realize I'm probably the exception there.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:21 pm

Obviously its more than going on stage and starting a two hour jam. Notice my comments on Round Room. I like those songs and the lyrics!! But the jams and variations that happen afterwards and within the songs are more important to me.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:32 pm

No, I understood that ... I was just painting an exaggeration to illustrate my point. I realize people value the tunes, or this thread wouldn't be here.

I like Round Room quite a lot myself. But -7, for example, is way more about the song's origin than it is about which performance's jam I enjoy most. The melody, lyrics, harmony and arrangement are just more interesting to me.

So I guess I'm saying that it really does matter to me what kind of songs are coming from these guys today. Bar 17 included. Maybe I'm overly critical, but I only mean to discern what I like from what I don't.

Loved Rift ... don't love Billy Breathes.

Knah'mean?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby jamphandan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:01 pm

i feel ya hose.

my stating is ALL about the jams is a bit of an overstatement as well (my name is jamphandan, don't wear it out).

i do care about the songwriting and the melodies/structure/chorus/etc. and that stuff is part of why i love phish. a big part.

but to me there's no comparison (to anything really...) as being there, feeling that moment where you(band+aud)'re riding that wave to fuck knows where.
jamphandan
Trans-Atlantic Wook

Postby gregradiohead » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:01 pm

Arguments about 'who cares about Trey's albums, he still rips live' are MOOT when he fills his band with hacks and faceless session players. TAB worked because they knew how to play and improvise. 70 Volt Parade is a fucking joke to me, even with the laydeez and some of the hornz.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby the Sloth » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:08 pm

great point
the Sloth
Mr. Rip Van Winklin'

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby cactusfunk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:53 pm

the singing kills it for me. it's pretty bad. several points during both bar17 and 18 steps i was just hoping the song would end soon. i tried very hard to be open to whatever trey was going to put out and i left dissapointed. the lyrics are bad, the singing is worse, and a lot of the song writing seems very similar. same fingerpicking style on many of the songs. listen, i love trey and phish and am going to see him both nights in chicago, but when something is not up to par it has to be said.
cactusfunk

Re: Bar 17: What Say You??

Postby Phinst » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:27 pm

This to me may just be Trey's weakest solo album..IMO

A few decent tracks. Goodbye Head and Cincinnati were always my two fav songs on the album.

Funny to read some of the above criticisms about his vocals/lyrics even back here in '06.
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:33 pm

Nice bump! I have a few Trey albums, but in general he's the epitome of the artist that decided he hates what I love, and will no longer participate in that shit. So I'm a frustrated Trey fan ... who is stuck in the past, probably. Or doesn't appreciate the sick jaaaaamms man.

I have Surrender to the Air, One Man's Trash, Original Boardwalk Style & The Horseshoe Curve.

My favorite is Horseshoe Curve, by far. Very funky and has a sort of mystique goin on. Hardly any lyrics; probably a big plus, given the complaints about his other records.

I truly don't get what's happened to this guy's sensibilities when it comes to what constitutes cool music.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby themomadans » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:00 pm

It's been forever since I listened to this album, but I do remember Goodbye Head is an amazing song. I saw TAB play it the first time I saw them.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:42 pm

but I do remember Goodbye Head is an amazing song. I saw TAB play it the first time I saw them.

I remember being blown away when he played it and a massive glowstick war started...I didn't even know people still did those at the time. It was impressive and Trey looked a lil terrified since he was so close to it.

Kinda hot and cold with Bar 17. Some good songs, some meh songs. Been a while since I've really listened to it which may be a commentary on how much I liked it.

The best Trey stuff in my opinion is his Self-titled Album, Shine and Traveler. I dig Horseshoe Curve too but I see it as less of an "album" and more of just a jam session. It's good stuff though.

Or doesn't appreciate the sick jaaaaamms man.

Yeah, what the hell, dooood!?
El Bastarde

Previous

Return to Phish Side/Solo Projects