Bar 17: What Say You??

Postby neck » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:12 am

pretty "meh" i'd have to say.
neck
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Fluffy Bunny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:13 am

It has its good songs and its blah songs. Averages out to meh.
If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite.
Fluffy Bunny
Lazy Hippie

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Buster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:23 am

A little above "meh..", but below "the shit..."

So, I'm not voting.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby gregradiohead » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:31 am

VOTE DAMN YOU
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby Buster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:32 am

You can't make me.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby gregradiohead » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:35 am

VOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOTEEEEEEEEE
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby famusmockingbird » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:05 am

there isnt enough variety in the answers.
famusmockingbird
Your Phaithful Phriend

Postby Buster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:14 pm

Yeah, way to make a shitty quiz, Greg.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby sirtubepiper » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:27 pm

A little above "meh..", but below "the shit..."

yes ;D
sirtubepiper

Postby sirtubepiper » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:28 pm

i voted "a bar, right" just cuz my mouse was close to that option!
sirtubepiper

Postby jamphandan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:23 pm

I'D RATHER BE ON THE BACK OF THE WORM!!!!!!

than listen to any more Trey solo stuff

seriously though, i'd rather hear Page's new album...when's that shit comin out???
jamphandan
Trans-Atlantic Wook

Postby lifeandhowtoliveit » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:06 pm

So it seems that Bar 17...sucks!?!?
lifeandhowtoliveit
The Understudy

Postby Buster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:57 pm

^Nah, I like it.

A nice collection of pretty tunes.

People change, they get older and they don't want to be that immature child they once were. I'm not saying that Trey was immature, just wanted to get across how he wasn't as serious as this album.

He's not the kid he used to be, but a 42 year old man, and the music will reflect that.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby mcgrupp11 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:42 pm

I've listened once through and it is not as good as I was expecting. I can't get used to Trey's voice on many of the tracks.
this isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is
mcgrupp11

Postby Moma Dave » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:04 pm

I think it is a good studio effort. He's covering different areas of his creativity. Fishman's drumming on Bar 17 (the song) is fucking great!
I'm left in the now with a wondrous glow
I think I'm still me but how would you know?
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

Postby cactusfunk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:56 pm

this is not a good effort by trey.
cactusfunk

Postby gregradiohead » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:35 am

I voted 'meh.' This is the sort of album my Dad would like. And I don't mean that in terms of age, I mean in terms of musical taste. This is very much adult alternative kind of stuff--it's almost edgy and almost experimental if you stopped listened to music in the 70s when the Carpenters died or whatever happened to them. It's not bad music, per say, it's just boring and unexciting. A few tracks I had my toe tapping and one or two of the ballads aren't awful, but other than that, this is music to put on as wallpaper rather than to listen to. And I don't mean in a Brian Eno ambient way; I mean music as a background you can ignore because it's safe and unassuming. I would have no problem putting this on at a party assuming my parents ever had any.
I mainly voted 'meh' because it's at least better than 'Shine.'
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby lifeandhowtoliveit » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:38 am

I had really high expectations for this. Is Trey stuck in a general creative rut?
lifeandhowtoliveit
The Understudy

Postby gregradiohead » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:57 am

Dude, listen to it before you start to worry about Trey. Assuming you already have, I don't think he's in a creative rut so much as an inability to tell what's good from what's bad.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby fone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:07 pm

I'm only through the first six songs and I have mixed feelings about it so far. The guy is still a freaking musical genius, but one without a voice, without a sense of melodies that matter, and unwilling to fine tune the engineering process of his studio work (although this one is better than some of his previous stuff). That being said, most of these tunes will probably soar in concert with the right mix of musicians.

Speaking of musicians, did it strike anyone else odd that the list of musicians on the album included almost everyone in Trey's group of friends except one?
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:32 pm

I had really high expectations for this. Is Trey stuck in a general creative rut?

I think everyone overreacts about these Trey albums. Its Trey, people. He's not a famous songwriter...most all of the lyrics that he writes on his own are going to have a cheesy and bland tilt to them. Its the same way with a lot of famous musicians. Listen to lyrics written by Cat Stevens and Neil Young...they are not genious lyrics, full of fruitful metaphors and deep symbols. They are simple songs with simple messages. The only reallly good phish lyrics are at least in part written by Mike and especially Tom. I'm not saying that's a super-important part of phish, but we've got to be realistic. Trey is not an excellent lyricist. He is a guitar player and a leader.

As far as the music goes....Trey is phish. Simply put. Trey on his own is a rock guitar player with a soft side to him. He's not going to write music like he did with phish in the later years, and he is certainly not going to revert back to writing compositions. Anything he does on his own is not going to be nearly as effective and meaningful as phish...that doesn't mean it sucks, but lets have some perspective here.

I just don't know what everyone expects out of Trey as far as producing an album with 4-minute songs. Trey, to me=Jam. I could care less about what he puts out there album-wise. Seeing Trey live is experiencing Trey, not hearing his latest songs. Even if he is on stage trying to lead a band of less-talented musicians, good things happen...and its not during the chorus to his newest song. Don't try to be inspired or look deeply into these studio efforts people!

Of course, all of this points to why people want phish back. The 21 years they spent together formed a bond...it made each musician who they are today. Trey knows this. I'm not bashing his solo career, I mean, what else is he going to do until phish comes back? It boils down to expectations...and I think many of us have too high of expectations for studio albums.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:45 pm

I think it's strange that everyone wants Phish back so bad ... at least when it comes to the new songs thing.

I could get creamed for this, but I'm really not that into the writing that came after Rift. I totally love the songs they wrote while they were relative unknowns ... but starting with Hoist, every single album has left me feeling like, "What happened to the genius writing?"

Billy Breathes, Ghost, Farmhouse ... they're good albums in their own right. But to me it's average songwriting at best (with exceptions - I love Back on the Train, Piper, Waves), and accepting it for what it is, well, that's harder than it sounds.

So my point is that reforming Phish isn't necessarily going to result in better material from Trey.

I love Trey and all, but what I loved best was that sense of important melody (as fone sez) and the ability to make really interesting and exciting recordings.

FWIW I think Trey's written some great lyrics too. Look at YEM (yes, I'm serious) and Esther. And Lizards & Forbin's! But that's 20 years ago that he wrote those ...

I kind of hold onto the hope that clean living will bring out the best in Trey again someday.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:02 pm

The complexity and the songwriting of the early years is gone...long gone. You can see it in the progression of the Phish albums as well after Rift, like you said. Reverting back to that would be stupid and probably impossible, and not reverting back has led to cheesy, straight-forward rock music (from Trey). The only happy medium for Trey that I see is Phish writing new music, and continuing to jam. New phish songs are not going to have the complexity of Junta, but they also won't have the Trey-by-himself cheesy feel to them either. The best example is Round Room. I like that album a lot for the most part. I think parts of it are a little slow, but the Tom-influenced lyrics and the talents of Fish, Mike, and Page (and the undeniable connection they have) make the songs meaningful, to me at least. 7below, PebblesMarbles, WOTC, Waves...all of these songs are musically cool, lyrically cool, and they offer room for jamming.

but until we do get phish back, I think it is pointless to dissect these Trey albums with so many expectations.

I personally want phish back for the jams. That is seriously all I care about.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Postby jamphandan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:10 pm

it's ALL about the JAMS!!! ;)
jamphandan
Trans-Atlantic Wook

Next