What happened to OKP?

Going somewhere? Want to take a friend?

What happened to OKP?

Postby Guelah » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Where is everybody? Why is this site so slow now? I haven't been on as much, but it's sad to see that we are fading away somewhat. Fire up the chili!!! We are having an OKP meetup on the OKP! Who is still around? Should we start recruiting? I saw a post on .net about us. Ran into Brady over there. I can't ever get logged in there because the password system SUCKS, so this is the only place I ever post. It's been hard not ever being on a computer. It takes forever to post by text, so that is where I have been. Let's set up a day to all get on here and chat and talk about summer!

1. Little
"2014 Great year...2015...Better year!" -Trip Anti-acid
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What happened to OKP?

Postby Guelah » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Even the show lists have a quarter of the peeps confirmed! Are people just not as excited about Pheesh anymore?

I am! Can't wait fer Summer Terr!
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Postby Harpua » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:16 pm

I go and come as I please, but I am currently hanging around the Pa. I would be down for your pack the pa party.

Good Idea.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby ghost » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:54 am

Come and go seems to be the name of the game.

I am excited for summer terr too.

The second half of July sure is taking forever to get here.
ghost
Human Being

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:42 am

I wonder sometimes if hooking up the Tapatalks for people's interphones would spark a return. OF TEH PA!

I visit a couple other forums on that app, maybe people are just trending toward more computering from App Land nowadays?

Me, I'd rather sit at a desk to deal with messaging, in the same way that I'd rather sit on a couch to watch a show or a movie than sit at a desk for that.

What am I on about man.

1. Little
2. wait, are ^you two in? ::counts hamburger patties::
4. Kevin!

Alright I brought these hamburger patties.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:16 am

Honestly I think the (phish) shine has worn off a little for a lot of people. Just seems that way though, I don't know if that's true. I don't necessarily get excited months in advanced like I used to, but by the time July rolls around I know I'll be stoked. Personally, Fuego was a big turn off for me and the fact that I didn't really get to see any summer tour last year (except Dick's) had an effect on my need to stay in touch/keep up with tour. Also had a particularly shitty experience with the two show Cali run I did last fall, so that left a bad taste in my mouth. So that's kind of where I'm at, but I'm back on the east side of the country and planning a nice little run (maybe 2) this summer.

I still check in here almost daily, but don't post as much cause I haven't been listening to phish as much (although I listened a show all the way through tonight and plan to do that more often now) and I was a chat room cat and that seems to be basically dead.

I can't wait to see some of you folks this summer though :thumbup:
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Brother » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:38 pm

I'd like to go to an OKP meetup! Love Phish, love the OKP. I would have been so lonely when I first entered Phishdom if it weren't for the OKP. I like talking about shows, jams, and songs here because a lot of you all are able to discuss these things on a deeper analytical or personal level. The collective experience on this board is astounding to a newbie like me. Hoping to hang with a lot of you at manga ball!
Brother

Postby jawbone » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:37 pm

5. Brady

Yeah wtf happened here?

We used to have a link on the phish.net homepage. That's how I found this site to begin with. Maybe a recruitment strategy? Get some fresh blood up in here?
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:42 pm

I'm purely a lurker now :geek: :? :think:

I'm Definitely not as enthusiastic about discussing phish as I once was. I never really re listen to any new shows nowadays, whether I streamed them or not. I still am a fan at heart though. Halloween was very special for me, and I think treys side projects this summer could spice things up for phish tour. Looking forward to bend for the destination and friends I have that live there, and I don't think I can skip dicks. Gotta make it 5/5 years. Could probably make alpine work too but I feel like that would be overkill, 7 shows in 6 weeks.
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:47 pm

^ Drew, it was nice seeing ya in NYC a few years back. Too bad I'm not on that Ohio project anymore; otherwise we can meet up in Blossom (not going this year).

I do try and organize OKP meetups at shows. I'm weaning off that as most of the time I spend the meetup time waiting around for the few people who turn up, most of whom I've already been hanging out with at the same shows. It gets frustrating after a while because, just like you, I have better things to do at shows than stand around waiting for people to turn up. Even people who specifically emails / PMs me about meetups have flaked. I get it, it's a Phish show; lots are going on and everyone has missions. But after a few rounds of that, why would I keep putting myself through this? If I want to see you I'll just make separate plans.

In general, people come in and out of the OKP, depending on life / work situations. IRRC, even OP was 'missing' from the Pa due to lack of internet. And this lasted at least a year, if not more. If you apply the same time period to the ~20 people who are on the Pa regularly, there will be attrition. And the path of attrition continues when less and less people are around.

Also, people who owe me money for Phish tickets (Sam and Liz) have disappeared because it's easier for them to do that, than to pay-up. Another member slowly vanished after her continuous lies were exposed by a few members. Stuff like that (general Phish-phan sketchiness) will take a few people out here and there.
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby fone » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't know about you, but there comes a time when everyone puts away their toys and enters into the more mature aspects of life. You know 1 Corinthians: "When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things."

It's a good thing I follow the Tao instead of the bible. I would have missed so much incredible musical joy, and not met a finer group of individuals than those who move in and out of here.

Still love Phish

still love you all.

:wave:

Burma Shave
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby Harpua » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:36 pm

AsianGirl wrote:
Also, people who owe me money for Phish tickets (Sam and Liz) have disappeared because it's easier for them to do that, than to pay-up. Another member slowly vanished after her continuous lies were exposed by a few members. Stuff like that (general Phish-phan sketchiness) will take a few people out here and there.

That is aweful. What were Sam and Liz's usernames?

GratefulPhish wrote:Also had a particularly shitty experience with the two show Cali run I did last fall, so that left a bad taste in my mouth. So that's kind of where I'm at, but I'm back on the east side of the country and planning a nice little run (maybe 2) this summer.

Did you not like the shows, or was there something else that happened during the run that marred your experience? I was at one of those shows and I thought it was great, but my opinions generally differ from those of most other fans.

1. Little
2. Tom
3. ?
4. Kevin!
5. Brady
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:37 pm

AsianGirl wrote:
I do try and organize OKP meetups at shows. I'm weaning off that as most of the time I spend the meetup time waiting around for the few people who turn up, most of whom I've already been hanging out with at the same shows. It gets frustrating after a while because, just like you, I have better things to do at shows than stand around waiting for people to turn up. Even people who specifically emails / PMs me about meetups have flaked.

Yea the meetups have been dead for years......it's small enough of a message board that everyone has already met each other. I wouldn't take it personally.

::wistfully looks back on the earliest meet up at 10'000 lakes festival in 2006::
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:44 pm

^^It was other shit going on, I remember meeting you with Sean in LA...looks like we're going to a lot of the same shows this summer too, hopefully we can meet up.

As far as the meet up goes, I think it's best to just try to do something that you wouldn't mind doing with or without a meet up. Whether it be before the show on lot, or at a resty/bar/etc....either way, I've been able to meet up with Pa'sters at almost every show without organizing anything, so it's not a big deal to me though the effort is appreciated (I did a pisspoor job of seeing people at Dick's last year though). And it helps anyone who's new to the board.

I'll add that Fuego has a lot to do with my tapering interest. If they had written an album more worthwhile, I might be more excited. But there really isn't anything I enjoy THAT MUCH live. I'm looking forward to more Tom Marshall material in the future though, Fuego made me grateful for some of his stuff on Joy.

edit: look at this eclectic bunch in here

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gikx3o7KcYU[/youtube]

(why doesn't the youtube embedding work anymore?)
Last edited by GratefulPhish on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Harpua wrote:That is aweful. What were Sam and Liz's usernames?

See this thread.

GratefulPhish wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gikx3o7KcYU[/youtube]
(why doesn't the youtube embedding work anymore?)

Fixed it for ya:

The Program / Code doesn't revognize "https," only "http" (without the "S")
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby Brother » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Pei-Yi,

I actually stumbled upon Sam's SoundCloud where he hosts a SBD recording of the 12/5/1995 Tweezer, which is totally awesome in case no one has ever heard it. I called him out on his Soundcloud for you.
Brother

Postby nugfin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:56 pm

I go on Phish hiatus every now and then....as I am right now.

I'm kinda bummed I can't go to any shows this summer (unless they sell a Sunday ticket to Magna), and no fall tour really has me grumpy.

I'm even skipping over Phish tunes on my iPod. Just not feeling it right now. It'll change for sure.

I'm addicted to my FanDuel app right now....it's consumed me since baseball season started.

I'll be back after the all-star break.... :crazy:
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:05 pm

One of my favorite meet up memories was meeting Hank & Yoni for the first time in Portsmouth in 2010. I feel like there may have been one or two others that joined the crew (think we met up with Keith inside), but I think I just flagged Hank down telling him I recognized him from the Pa. I think I contacted Yoni to join us and we just chilled by my car drinking brews and listening to tunes. Jae was there too, now I recall. Miss that mofo.

Ah, simpler times.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby henrietta » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Phish is just not a priority of things to do at this moment (happened to me in 2.0 also). I'm spending time coaching and watching my son play travel baseball (fun times). I'm skipping this summer because we are going on a cruise and I had A LOT of work done on my house this year. Just gonna save myself for the extended NYE run at MSG (and sleep in my old bed). Traveling for Phish right now does not feel worth it. I'm old, lazy and don't feel like I'm missing much right now.
henrietta

Postby proletariat » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:22 pm

i peep my head in and out of here but started lurking and sort of posting again after i bought my magnaball ticket. my life is consumed by work travel and the daily grind at this point. still addicted to music though. i know that my abrasiveness and smug attitude probably rubbed people the wrong way around here, so sorry for being an asshole.
proletariat

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:32 pm

PA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This place, just like all things, has gone through it's transitions over the years.

I fondly remember the Sausage Fest Days, when dick jokes and boobs were found aplenty throughout OKPa Land.

The time we played Mike in chess (still not totally convinced that was him) ;)

Then 3.0 happened and it turned a LOT of people on to our little community.

The entire landscape changed.

There were strangers among the regulars and it was a lot of fun.

There was so much anticipation for the reunion. Hampton happened, and it was like a mix between a high school reunion/Disney World/Phish/a dream.

Then the first couple years back, people eventually caught their first shows in a while or they popped their cherries. Everyone was so stoked for the next show.

The thing about 3.0, and I don't mean to sound all "Vetty", but the shows and the experience are just not quite the same. This was our big secret, but now it is "trendy" and cool to the common folk.

Now, the really stand out moments become more evident because they are spread out and fewer and farther between.

I still LOVE my band, and I LOVE going to shows, but there is not a TON of replay material.

Maybe its just me and my life, but I have bought a house, raised a dog, started a family and become very involved with work during the course of 3.0, and all of these things now take precedence over my band.

I still manage to see around 10 shows a year, but that is down from the 30-40 I would see in years past, even in 3.0

Phish has always kind of evolved with me, or me with them. The first Hiatus came as I started college, 2.0 ended when I graduated and started working, during the 2.0 - 3.0 I had some similar struggles to certain members of the band. 3.0 found me in a new light and time and era of my life.

This has been a lot of typing.

TL/DR

yadda

yadda

ya

da

Love you guys and gals :wave:

PA4LIFE
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby Phinst » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Most people that are on here, have been on here for a long time, when y'all were just young-in's. Phish was a priority, and people had more time on their hands. Now y'all have grown up and are getting married, involved in jobs and making bay-bays :o

Guelah wrote:Should we start recruiting? I saw a post on .net about us.

Yea I saw that too, seemed like a few people ventured over here to check out the site and liked it, but was too slow of a board for them..so kind of a catch 22, board won't get busy again till people venture this way, yet the slowness is keeping them away.

Maybe y'all should set up another wiffle ball game ;)
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby Guelah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Lovin' teh response!!!

It's ALLLLIIIIIVEEEE!!!!!
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Postby marley » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:04 pm

:wave:
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby marley » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:14 am

I'm still pumped for Phish, but life is in the way at the moment... In a nutshell, cardiac ward (turned out to be nothing) > defamation lawsuit against my boss, and of course, Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I think we had a few successful meetups at the Vegas run. I'll try to find the pic of Ryan, Dave and I.

And Levi, you had a shitty fall tour b/c of the crazy chick you were with. Hot n crazy isn't for you, my friend! ;)
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Next

Return to Shows/Meetups Board