What happened to OKP?

Going somewhere? Want to take a friend?

Re: What happened to OKP?

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:16 pm

Excuses, excuses. Get in here and squander valuable office time!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby marley » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:02 am

Hey Brett, are you hiring? Ol' marley is looking to move back to the D! :wave:
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby UB-40 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:02 am

Still here, everyone. Still here.
#∞
You are a person who is high class. You are a person not in my class.
UB-40

Postby themomadans » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:41 am

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about y'all. :wave:

I covered my relationship with Phish about a year ago in my posts on pages 194 and 195 of the Phish Thoughts thread:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11526&p=460327#p460327

I'd say it's still pretty much spot-on.

Most of my internet time isn't spent on OKP as much, I usually gravitate toward FB, reddit, Netflix, and so forth. I still see a bunch of you'z guyz on FB though, so I'm never totally out of the loop I guess. :)

I think OKP and my Phish craze came at a pretty transitional time of my life - I started listening and became crazy about them when I was 15, joined OKP at 16, and am 22 now - just graduated college! I only listen to the band once every couple weeks or even months, yet I listen to tons of music every day. I still stop by OKP about once a week just to see what's crackin' but rarely post. I'm seeing the two Mann Center shows this summer, so that should be a bundle of joy. :ugeek:

Hi again, peoples. Just 'cause I don't come around here don't mean I'll ever forget ya. :wave:

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:52 am

^epic post. :clap:

I'm not clickin that shit though.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby AsianGirl » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:44 pm

themomadans wrote:Most of my internet time isn't spent on OKP as much, I usually gravitate toward FB, reddit, Netflix, and so forth. I still see a bunch of you'z guyz on FB though, so I'm never totally out of the loop I guess. :)

Please remember that not everyone is on Facebook.
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:51 pm

I think Dan and I have had pretty similar experiences with the Phish. The reason I got into Jam Bands in the first place was for the songwriting. It evolved into an obsession for improvisation, and that obsession seems to be waning in some ways. I no longer feel the need to hear every jam that I miss and my old obsession for songwriting seems to be coming back, and Phish's songwriting hasn't really done much for me in 3.0. But I will say that some of the bands that I've gotten into for their songwriting have been underwhelming live at times, so maybe my interest in improv will come back this summer if the guys from VT are bringing the heat. I have about a week and a half of shows planned, plus I'm probably doing Magnaball, so this could either revitalize my interest in current day Phish or kill it totally :lol

I've (and everyone else here) probably spent more time in my life listening to just this band than most people have listened to music all together, so at some point there had to be a dip in interest right?
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:48 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:... so maybe my interest in improv will come back this summer if the guys from VT are bringing the heat. I have about a week and a half of shows planned, plus I'm probably doing Magnaball, so this could either revitalize my interest in current day Phish or kill it totally :lol

I've (and everyone else here) probably spent more time in my life listening to just this band than most people have listened to music all together, so at some point there had to be a dip in interest right?

^ This. I am doing 6 shows in 8 days (Tuscaloosa - Alpine Valley), and I am going into it knowing full well that this could re-fuel my once burning obsession, or this could be my own Fare Thee Well tour.

** Third Possibility**
I could see some good shows and some bad shows, and I stay in this weird Phish limbo for another year.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Brother » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:19 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:I think Dan and I have had pretty similar experiences with the Phish. The reason I got into Jam Bands in the first place was for the songwriting. It evolved into an obsession for improvisation, and that obsession seems to be waning in some ways. I no longer feel the need to hear every jam that I miss and my old obsession for songwriting seems to be coming back, and Phish's songwriting hasn't really done much for me in 3.0. But I will say that some of the bands that I've gotten into for their songwriting have been underwhelming live at times, so maybe my interest in improv will come back this summer if the guys from VT are bringing the heat.

Hoping to see you at Magnaball, Levi!!! My obsession with Phish has also waned but I think it's for the better. I'm still obsessed, just more healthily obsessed. There has to be ups and downs; I can't just be super excited for Phish all the time or that would be the base line. I don't know if there's anyone who is PHISHPHISHPHISHPHISHPHISHPHISHPHISHPHISH for 10 years straight, except maybe Trey in 1988. So coming from someone in a similar place as you, I think you're fine! Go to the shows you wanna go to, don't place any demands on the experience or the music, and I think you'll "feel the feeling you forgot".

Levi, if your interest in improv has waned I suggest checking out some jazz and some of the modern greats who are killing it right now. I don't wanna be pedantic or condescending I just don't know what you listen to. Here's a list of some great jazz with both "type 1" and "type 2" improv. Of course, these guys doing the type 2 stuff also kill the more straight-ahead tunes too.

Type 2 Stuff
In a Silent Way - Miles Davis
The Creator Has a Master Plan - Pharoah Sanders
any live Mingus
Medeski, Scofield, Martin, and Wood (any combination of them)

Type 1 Stuff
David Grisman Quintet (all albums, so goooood, lol.)
Django
Art Blakey!!!
Frank Vignola
also any (Martin, Medeski, Wood, or Scofield in any combination)
Snarky Puppy
Brother

Postby AsianGirl » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:28 pm

^ I'm liking Drew's recommendations. The musicians I know of on his list I LOVE.

The ones I have been ignorant of, I will go check out!

I'm a huge improv person, so take my 'seconded' with an experimental grain of salt please ;P
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:00 pm

^^^We'll have to catch up along the way Harpua, I'm planning to hit all those SE shows. Kinda crazy how many folks seem to be sitting in the same place with their Phish fanhood right now around here.

^^ I'm not sure why my interest in improv has faded a bit, Drew. It just occurred to me that maybe it's because my interest in jamming on guitar has pretty much dissipated in the past year, but I'm going to try to pick that back up this year (or the bass). But I've been listening to way more stuff that has origins in singer/songwriter. I also have an obsessive personality so when I get into something new, that really clicks, I listen to almost nothing else. Last year it was almost My Morning Jacket all the time, so far this year I've been pretty hung up on the Drive By Truckers/Jason Isbell. But I'll definitely check out some of your suggestions and see if it strikes a chord with me again.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Funky Begonia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:22 am

Im guilty of fading out on here too. I started a new job this year, got crazy busy with that. I do miss all of your and the good times we've had together! I just started trying to come back here a bit more often. Much love!
Funky Begonia
Third Eye Warrior

Postby roofnapkin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:05 am

I AM STILL HERE! :wave:

Well, sort of.. not like I used to be, life is busy. Love this place and miss ya'all!!

My summer: for sure Alpine x2... do need some tix for those though, PM me if you've got any extra pavs laying around the house :D

...might head down for TX x2, depends on a few things to make that run happen though and Dicks is 50/50...
So it seems... that the world keeps on turnin'
roofnapkin
Northern Jedi

Postby Brother » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Where the hell is Judson (Errand Wolf)???????
Brother

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:12 pm

^Ruling Prussia with an iron fist, I'd imagine.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:45 pm

Weird, I just realized because of Drew's post, that I had a dream a night or two ago that featured Judson ready to party down

I miss that mofo
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby nanook » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm

I still come here from time to time. I've been really busy lately. A bunch of life stuff hit me all at once.
Ready to go see my favorite band in Raleigh :)
nanook
Universal Mind

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:51 pm

I think I have faded away from here too, without fully realizing it. I actually keep up on reading the Pa more now than I did when I was posting regularly, so I forget that it may appear I have gone AWOL. Since I have nothing of very much value to add in my posts, this may be the best solution for all of us.

We do need a jolt of life around here though. When most of the traffic is coming from spam bots, you may be in trouble.
Katiemay

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:16 pm

I never get that, when people say they have nothing to contribute.

That's all my posts ever are: 100% nothin! Doesn't stop me!

:wave: Hi Katiemay!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:23 pm

^ Ship of Fools used to talk about the weather like it was a topic people actually discussed. God love him,, his posts were 90% weather posts, 6% Phish and 4% Grateful Dead. So, Katie, post anything you want! See you at MagnaBall?
Brother

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:37 pm

That's all my posts ever are: 100% nothin! Doesn't stop me!

Heck, most of my posts are just posting my reactions to other people's comments. Much like this one. Doesn't stop me. Keep on posting.
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:00 pm

Don't Stop...

#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Katiemay » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:21 pm

Brother wrote:^ Ship of Fools used to talk about the weather like it was a topic people actually discussed. God love him,, his posts were 90% weather posts, 6% Phish and 4% Grateful Dead.

Haha. That's true. I wonder if Edward ever made it to Alaska, or at least to a cooler climate.
Katiemay

Postby phishinsky » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:03 am

I'm here... Love u guys. I mean that....
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby ErrandWolfe » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Brother wrote:Where the hell is Judson (Errand Wolf)???????

:thumbup:
its been years since i've logged on...ive missed this place dearly but life took me down some interesting roads since I moved to Colorado in 2013...more to follow...
Here's a place of elegance...
ErrandWolfe

PreviousNext

Return to Shows/Meetups Board