mike responds (update)

OKP chess move.

mike responds (update)

Postby zoot horn rollo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:29 pm

yeah... i'm struggling to find ways to have this run in an organized manner. i feel like any way approach it in real time, it will just descend into chaos.

maybe we could turn it into an opportunity for an 'oh kee pa interview' (Q/A session) - people send in their questions ahead of time... i could submit them to betty via email and then we could have a locked thread of all his answers. that might allow more people to be involved in the board's interaction with mike. i don't know... just tossin shit out there.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoot horn rollo
Subcomandante

Blog: View Blog (0)

mike responds (update)

Postby famusmockingbird » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:08 pm

thats somethin to discuss after hte chess matter i think. lets get this game goin. I feel that if clete can create a second chat for the "chess committee" and then keep the existing chat for the rest of us to discuss and watch te game. maybe the committee could submit the move to the general chat and see people's reactions to see if ther was somethin taht the committee missed?

i dunno. im still pumped for the game, even if i just watch.
famusmockingbird
Your Phaithful Phriend

mike responds (update)

Postby zoot horn rollo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:01 am

i hear you man... i'm just afraid its going to end up being (me, bigdude and astral) vs. mike rather than a collective board interaction. i mean we can definitely have a liason to run suggestions into and out of the 'committee chat'... but if you've ever been in the main room when there's more than five people, its really tough to figure out what the funk is going on.

people should feel free to keep throwing out ideas... i'll plan on replying to betty by tomorrow night.

btw, i've created a yahoo account (okpchess) that we can use for the game. i've also been messing around with the boards a bit.... viewing should work out fine logistically. everyone will be able to view the game and we can protect the table from random people jumping on to play. you'll just need a yahoo mail account to sign on. (i don't know if there is a limit the the number of people viewing a given match... i've asked around but i'll keep digging)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoot horn rollo
Subcomandante

mike responds (update)

Postby antellama » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:39 am

i think if you, bigdude, and astral all do it together i would have no objection.
tlSd
antellama
TLD

mike responds (update)

Postby cemeteryroses » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:18 am

Hm...Bummer. But inteseting ideas. I'll definetly want to watch.
cemeteryroses
Angel

mike responds (update)

Postby zoot horn rollo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:25 am

must... resist... dirty... comment... ;)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoot horn rollo
Subcomandante

mike responds (update)

Postby famusmockingbird » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:42 am

i think if you, bigdude, and astral all do it together i would have no objection.

if zoot astral and bigdude all "do it" together maybe you wouldnt mind......but i bet spooks would get quite jeleous

;)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
famusmockingbird
Your Phaithful Phriend

mike responds (update)

Postby phishinsky » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:36 am

must... resist... dirty... remark...

I agree...

Seriously though...Hmm, What about 3 chats. 1 room with the game for you and the 2 others as follows...

The next (top 10 in posts) in the second chat making a ruling on the moves which is passed on by ONE person who is picking the common top 3 replies in the third room.

Like so:
50 (or more?) OPK'ers in chat#3 all talking / typing what the next move should be (needs to be an understanding that the CHAT level in this room is minimal if at all!) ONE person who just monitors this room, (he is not typing anything, just watching the top three responses from all of OKP land) and takes the top THREE replies and passes them to...

2:
Chat RM#2 where the top TEN posting members (not to leave others out, but more like a way to Assign people some duties for which they might have some time, after all they would be the top TEn posting members SANS, you top three in the game) who are available that night to VOTE on which TWO moves they want to issue to you guys in the real game....

3:
You three then take the moves which are handed to you (two possible moves) and translate that into the OKP move..Via your vote...

Why----
This way everyone has some say....The moves are not really random as everyone will be watching, and there is a democracy to it all so to speak....

I know it sounds long, but if you really think it out in thy head, it could WORK.....???

Idea, thats all...
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

mike responds (update)

Postby Guelah » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:57 am

^Sounds, uh, wise. I think that may be the most organized way to go about it. It sucks that all that work you did was diverted into this, Zoot, but I think you can pull this new thing off. I can see how this is all pretty damn stressful. But Oh Kee Pa gets to play chess with Cactus, be it three of us or every one of us, which is way more than PT ever did. This will bring on more things for us, I think, and next time we will know how to better prepare for it. WOOHOO! Also, I wonder why he told Betty to tell us that he hasn't played in awhile, and that he probably sucks. Is he pulling the Oh Kee Pa's leg?? You mean he's gone 9 1/2 weeks without practicing at least once on a tour bus or something?? I don't buy it. This is gonna be tough. And fun!
"2014 Great year...2015...Better year!" -Trip Anti-acid
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

mike responds (update)

Postby phishinsky » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:31 am

HELLO?... was it that bad of an idea?.... * Walks away brying looking for beer*...
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

mike responds (update)

Postby Guelah » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:13 am

I thought it was good. Here, have a Fat Tire. I found some laying around in another post.
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

mike responds (update)

Postby zoot horn rollo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:55 am

ok.. i sent a reply to betty, and we should be set for the evening of the 17th (clear your calendars!). as soon as we have worked out all the details, i'll let you know how to access the game. as far as the logistics go on our end... well, we have about two weeks to hammer out a plan. so far it seems like there are a couple of ways we can approach it:

- organized; where people are limited on what they can say, but will have more input on what moves are made

- party atmosphere; where people are having fun but may be limited as to their effect on the game

people should keep throwing out suggestions... and don't be discouraged by a lack of responses. this weekend i'll set up a poll so we can vote on the game plan. once we've decided the general logistics we can work out the details. for those folks who miss the match, i can save the move tally, and recreate screenshots using gameknot. that way we'll be able to have it as a thread on the board for people to see.

alright. word to your mother. i'm going boarding tomorrow so i'm going to crash. zoot
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoot horn rollo
Subcomandante

mike responds (update)

Postby jawbone » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:47 am

^let's just have fun with it.

i mean shit man, it's Mike...from PHISH!
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

mike responds (update)

Postby ghost_2000 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:50 pm

Monday April 17th?

Make it as late as possible. I'm playing Parcheesi with Eddie Vedder at 7:30
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

mike responds (update)

Postby willbreathes » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:53 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

mike responds (update)

Postby zoot horn rollo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:26 pm

hoyooooooooooooh!
zoot horn rollo
Subcomandante

mike responds (update)

Postby gregradiohead » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:04 pm

I have not been following this whole chess thing until now. My suggestion is just to get the best chess players on here and have them confer together during the match. It's pretty much impossible to get an entire community to work together during a chess game unless you can spread it out over time--say, like, Phish did during their Fall tour!
Anywho, I'd have no problem with the top few (say 3 or 4) chess players we've got playing for all of us.
gregradiohead
Goderator

mike responds (update)

Postby ghost_2000 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:32 pm

^
I don't really, either. We all had a chance to be one of those 3 or 4, so those who got far in the tournament I say go for it. They've proven they are good at chess. I'll be a perfectly happy spectator.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

mike responds (update)

Postby jamphandan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:59 pm

^wherd. that seems like the easiest solution...although then it may seem kinda unfair that mike is playing against 3-4 people at once...rather than a whole group which could potentially be plagued by confusion and chaos...whatever...i don't really care either way now, i just wanna see this match happen one way or another (which it will).

maybe we could just convince mike to sit in the chat room over the course of the match so that at least everyone kinda gets the chance to interact with him?
jamphandan
Trans-Atlantic Wook

mike responds (update)

Postby Guelah » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:51 pm

Yeah that Parcheesi line was probably the funniest thing I've read on Oh Kee Pa as of yet. I nearly fell out of my chair.
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

mike responds (update)

Postby famusmockingbird » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:14 pm

FUUUCK i actaully have to do 2 hours of road hours for my driving test at 7:30 on that monday, so either have the game start late, like 930ish would be fine.....i know the whole OKP shouldnt bend to my schedule, but if its not a problem for you guys, i'd be amazing

i cannot miss this game!
famusmockingbird
Your Phaithful Phriend

mike responds (update)

Postby phishinsky » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:56 am

Who needs a license...... dammit...^
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

mike responds (update)

Postby jawbone » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:50 am

^certainly not anybody involved in a chess game with Mike Gordon.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

mike responds (update)

Postby Clark W. Griswold » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:33 pm

I don't mind if the top 3-4 play. I just want to watch this go down! Besides, with everything I know about chess, you couldn't even complete a Mad Libs page, so I won't mind being a silent voyour of the game. Just let me know when and where I can watch and I'll grab my binoculars!
We passed a goddamn gas station every 10 yards for 1000 miles, but when you really need one, you end up walking your ass off. This is no way to run a desert!
Praise Marty Moose!
Clark W. Griswold

mike responds (update)

Postby antellama » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:55 pm

as long as the OKP is represented in a game of chess, i be down.
tlSd
antellama
TLD

PreviousNext

Return to Mike's Chess Challenge