New Members thoughts of the Ohkeepa

Post your ideas and suggestions for The Oh Kee Pa.

Postby cricket » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:30 pm

Im a brand new member.....i do like the positiveness of the members on here. My only complaint is that it gets confusing sifting through all the folders to find threads.....guess ill get used to it...

cricket

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Fluffy Bunny » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:36 pm

If you have an idea about how to keep it better organized, then by all means, speak up!
If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite.
Fluffy Bunny
Lazy Hippie

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby zoot horn rollo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:51 am

anyone else worry about the phish net chess post? i just hope we don't have an influx of the PT vibe...
zoot horn rollo
Subcomandante

Postby neck » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:03 pm

i have an awful feeling too, zoot...lets hope my feeling is...is...wrong we'll say...
neck
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:58 pm

If the PT "vibe" starts affecting us, we'll have a good old cleansing. Did that sound Nazi?
How can you dream lines of poetry you don't know?
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus
Site Admin

Postby zoot horn rollo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:23 pm

excellent... i'll sleep better knowing cletus "iron fist" awreetus lies in waiting. ;)
zoot horn rollo
Subcomandante

Postby eaf288 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:53 pm

If the PT "vibe" starts affecting us, we'll have a good old cleansing. Did that sound Nazi?

JA WOHL DARK HELMET!
eaf288

Postby ghost_2000 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:18 pm

anyone else worry about the phish net chess post? i just hope we don't have an influx of the PT vibe...

something that i've always felt was true: any PR is good PR. we may see some negative effects with the post on phish.net, but overall I think it is a positive thing.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby famusmockingbird » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:10 am

notice how cletus has made no comment on the down w/ the brown remark.....oooh

so is phish.net posting somethin or what? thers nothin up yet!
famusmockingbird
Your Phaithful Phriend

Postby samphish » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:59 am

I don't think there are any laws against that... but anyway, being a newer member, I am glad to take in the extremely positive vibe that is constantly around at OKP, and if anything jeopardizes the comfort of that community, then its fascist time...
samphish
The Angry Jogger

Postby phan142 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:36 pm

agreed.people should be kicked out if they are rude, arrogant, or offend other peoples race religion, personal interests (unless of course its in good fun, like dissing dave matthews)
phan142
Teh Irishman

Postby phishinsky » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:45 am

DMB...Ohh be nice to the lil players on the market...he he he..

As a new(er) member..I am home Dorthy......
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:17 pm

this is just a thought?

Ian, does the "down with teh_brown" on the ticker mean you wanna see them go down, or that you are "down" with them? just curious. :)

Damn, sorry I missed this Glenn! I addressed it a while ago, I meant down as in blue pwns all. :D
Site Admin

Postby fone » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:40 pm

I know I've been hanging around since August, but I still consider myself a new member, mainly because there's so much about the OKP that I don't understand.

I immediately appreciated the chill vibe of the folks who wrote to the OKP, and thought that everyone here was pretty special in that respect. Most other bbs, like the pt and the rmp, turned into basic bitch fests on occasion and people really jumped all over each other needlessly. I thought the OKP had gotten beyond that.

But I've just started to become aware from the threads that there is quite a bit of moderating that's being done, to help keep the vibe mellow. Are there a set of "rules" or "guidelines" for the OKP, or can someone give me an idea of what gets modded out of the threads, and what percentage of threads are modded?

Sorry to bother you folks with this, but I'm curious why the OKP works so well. I read a text book on the sociology of internet bulletin boards and chat rooms, and you've managed to overcome some of the stresses that naturally occur within this dynamic. Just curious as to the formulas being employed.

Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby goldenroad » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:13 pm

I'm just the first moderator to answer this, so don't take my word as being carved in stone, but I think what makes it work is that the same people that were on here when it started are on here now. This board started out so small; like Glenn said, "you could post a message one day and not hear a response for a week or two"...just to give you an idea. As cheesy as it sounds, I think a lot of us care about the OKP, and have a genuine respect for others on the board. This stems from how small it was to start out with, and how the 10 or so people that used to post back in the day still kind of see this board as that small tight group of friends...only it has gotten much bigger. Maybe the change just never occurred to most of us because we check the board everyday...it is like how you might not notice your nephew or son's physical growth if you see him everyday, but if you only see him once every couple of months, you always start by saying "Look how big you've gotten".
Well...I think most of us who were here near the beginning just want to keep that "tightness" that we had to start out with. I don't think we do much in particular in terms of "moderating" that keeps this place running smoothly. It is mostly our posts and threads that display how we want to keep this a tight community of sorts...and this is not just the moderators, but people who joined shortly after most of the moderators. I think so long as people keep posting, they will feel more "at home" and not want it to turn into a bitchfest at the drop of a hat.
Mostly though, what makes this place run so well, is Astral's famous projection "Take it easy and start feelin' breezy"...It stemmed from the fact that you should just feel breezy (the best way to do so being to listen to a Reba jam), and it is impossible to be mad or take much to heart when you are listening to Phish. Simple as that...we like phish...phish = good times...good times = the OKP...
Maybe this didn't answer your question at all, but we really don't do much moderating per se...we just try to keep it breezy through our posts and being respectful and listening to phish.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby fone » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:49 pm

^If what you say is even partially true, I'm much more impressed with this group of people than before. It's nearly impossible to escape dealing with one a-hole out of every five people you meet. To meet so many reasonable friends in one place is really quite extraordinary.

I salute the small group of friends who held this site together with good humor and right attitude. You've beaten the odds and certainly created a breezy place for people to come and talk about Phish and the thoughts that get stimulated from their music.

A heartfelt Thanks.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby jamphandan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:18 pm

^ it's totally true FF.

well 'spoken' there GR, your analogy between the board and watching a distant/immediate relative grow up is a very good one.

We've got a pretty sweet thing goin on around here. It does feel like a family. It goes as deep as whenever someone gets their nose bent out of joint for whatever reason (especially someone who's been around to see this place 'grow up'), people actually make the effort to find, and fix, the problem.
jamphandan
Trans-Atlantic Wook

Postby ghost_2000 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:27 pm

Yes, I think GR's post was very spot-on.

I don't know if this is relavent, but this morning Neck sent a text message through AIM to my cell phone (b/c I was logged off and i have it set up to do that) and all it said was "poop." I didn't even think twice. I just laughed and considered it a humorous text from a friend. I don't know if that kind of rapport is evident on other message boards or not. I would sincerely doubt it.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby alright » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:33 am

The reason this board works is because we all hate the kind of boards like pt. All these negative vibes and "fuck you" and "your gay, you suck." Instead we say you are teh_ghey. This boards rules because i can post a thread about selling sex and people know im not literally a geisha. Well...neck still hasnt gotten over it. This board works becasue we are talking about more things than just phish. We are talking about our lives, which just happen to revolve around phish. Por ejemplo, right now it is 6:30...on 6/30/99 phish played at the sandstone theater. see! time reminds us of shows! WE ARE THAT OBSESSED! but because we talk about other things than just phish, we really get to know each other really well. plus we are all heavily addicted to the oh kee pa so we talk to each other all day every day. especially neck....im pretty sure he doesnt sleep. he keeps watch over the oh kee pa at night so dont get ambushed by drunk pt'ers! anyyyyyyywayyyyyyy, im going to end this rant. just like im going to end your life....BAYUM!
#23 So back off
alright
Teh Taintless Wonder

Postby phishinsky » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:34 am

I want all MODS to go to the 10KLF, SO I can treat 'em all to a cold Fat Tire...

My only request..
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:14 pm

I'm just going to reiterate what others have already said but the way I see it is this board was born out of the things that annoyed us on other boards.. The negative talk, the spam threads, the lack of organisation etc. I really believe that 99.9% of the people here (0.01 may have signed up on a whim) want to see a happy online community which reflects Phish's original intentions - to bring people together in support of one thing and have a great time doing it. Sharin' in the groove people. Thank you so much for being here!
Site Admin

Postby kaktus » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 pm

I'm just going to reiterate what others have already said but the way I see it is this board was born out of the things that annoyed us on other boards.. The negative talk, the spam threads, the lack of organisation etc. I really believe that 99.9% of the people here (0.01 may have signed up on a whim) want to see a happy online community which reflects Phish's original intentions - to bring people together in support of one thing and have a great time doing it. Sharin' in the groove people. Thank you so much for being here!

thank you for having us, my fellow european phish fan
kaktus

Postby cemeteryroses » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:09 am

TIP FOR NEW MEMBERS: get in the chat as much as possible. CemeteryRoses is a pretty new member, but she is active in the chat. i feel i know her as well as anyone here.

Woah. Totally didn't know this post existed. Aw, Thanks TLD. Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. ;D

I found this by googling "cemeteryroses". This was one of the things that came up. That makes me happy. The first thing was my myspace. Heh heh.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
cemeteryroses
Angel

Postby ghost_2000 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:10 pm

i'm willing to bet that 99%, or maybe 100%, of the members of the OKP have googled their own name (real or screen).

I just googled "Ghost2000." apparently, not only is this name being used somewhere else (i'm going to hunt that person down), it is a video game. neat.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby acoopalypsenow » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:55 am

oooooo, that sounds like a great idea for a thread. Do you get the Oh Kee Pa when you google your screen name?

acoopalypsenow

PreviousNext

Return to Website Ideas/Suggestions