11-20 Campus Club Providence RI

Discuss the 1991 shows!

11-20 Campus Club Providence RI

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:13 am

Wednesday, 11/20/1991
Campus Club, Providence, RI

Set 1: Buried Alive > Possum, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > Sparkle, Stash, Paul and Silas > Bathtub Gin, The Squirming Coil > Llama, You Enjoy Myself

Set 2: Golgi Apparatus > It's Ice > My Sweet One > Run Like an Antelope, Tela, The Landlady, Hold Your Head Up > Bike[1] > Hold Your Head Up, Cavern[2]

Encore: Magilla[2] > Brother[2]

[1] Fish on fretless guitar.
[2] Carl Gerhard on trumpet.

Teases:
· Rhapsody in Blue tease in Possum
· Theme from The Flintstones tease in Magilla

Notes: Possum included a Rhapsody in Blue tease from Trey. Before YEM, Trey announced that the second set would feature a special guest on guitar who has influenced Trey for years. The “special guest” turned out to be Fish, who added some atrocious fretless guitar stylings to Bike. Cavern, Magilla and Brother featured Carl Gerhard on trumpet, who teased the Flintstones theme during Magilla.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 11-20 Campus Club Providence RI

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:23 am

Kind of a short set two; I wonder if it's because it was a weeknight?

Good show though ... I just listened thru to the whole show in the car, think I'll start it again. It's not the greatest recording, but it ain't so bad. And it's well balanced; just not great definition I guess you could say.

I just now put on what I guess is the first Campus Club show, 11/16/90, and THAT one is clear & clean just like the 3/13/92 show. Time to go see if there's a thread for that one.

Check out this Buried Alive! for some cool effects; I remember Trey had some rack-mount style unit on his right, between him and Page on an amp or on the piano or something, he was messing with the controls in the middle of the song. Trey had a buzz cut at this show I'm almost sure.

I had never heard Cavern before and didn't have a way to get a recording of it, but regardless, I had it stuck in my head for months after this show. Nectar came out a few months later and I was all, thank God.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Re: 11-20 Campus Club Providence RI

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:59 am

Seriously this Buried Alive's great. The first set is actually just solid, precise excited Phish.

Some more observations:

Possum's first chorus kicks in and Trey's vocal effects are all over the place, takes a few moments to dial that into normal.

Forbin's > Mockingbird is really great, like when everything's just how you want it.

Sparkle's wild at the end, almost comes off the rails, but when it gets back ON the rails you go, whooo what a band. Something about this performance has given me a new appreciation of this song, and of the lyrics in particular.

Stash, similarly is textbook Stash, sort of "showing" the song to you, and really just does its thing beautifully.

Gin's jam is a blast at the end.

Near perfect Squirming Coil, very well done..

The Llama's the main reason for this post! Cuz after the chorus (Leave it on press, depress, depress), Trey goes, "Press it, Leo!" :lol:

Love the YEM vocal jam in this. " ... Donkey Donkey Donkey Donkey ... "
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Return to 1991