what was THE song

Discuss Phish!

what was THE song

Postby kris10dank » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:45 pm

was there that ONE song or jam that did it for you and totally changed your music style? or a certain moment when all of a sudden you GOT it?

Mine was Antelope in WOOSTAH MA in '98.... im not affraid to admit in the beg i was all about the drugs and then BAM, that one antelope and nothing was the same! my whole taste in music changed and i always give credit to that one moment

anyone else??
kris10dank

Blog: View Blog (0)

what was THE song

Postby whyweigh228 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:51 pm

for me it was either the studio version of divided sky or the mike's song from hampton that really got me started into to phish
whyweigh228

what was THE song

Postby cubbiephan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:51 pm

probably my first show...2-22-03 the gin blew my mind...i actually did not really know what was going on with the music as at the time i was still testing all the waters of phish...but i remember groovin to the jam and then 20 minutes later, it went back to the orignal gin riff, and i was like, this is the same song...from that moment on i have been hooked and i am rediculously obsessed with the boys now....thank you us bank arena and bathtub gin for that magical night
cubbiephan

what was THE song

Postby Buster » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:15 pm

7-8-94 Reba, I'm sure it could have been any Reba really, but it was that one that really got me going. I heard it and just happened to be 'in the moment' I guess and it all clicked and was like WOW, I fucking love these guys.
Buster
The NorEaster

what was THE song

Postby phishyeducator » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:43 pm

The YEM from ALO. When Fishman hits the woodblock and the band kicks into the groove again w/in the first few minutes, phhewwwww, that did it for me! A buddy and myself were cruisin' and puffin' when he asked you like Phish? I was like, yeah, but hadn't heard too aweful much of them. I'd just got into them the year before, but THIS blew my mind. Yummy.
phishyeducator

what was THE song

Postby ghost_2000 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:46 pm

HCA "Bathtub Gin" one fine, blustery fall day, 1999.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

what was THE song

Postby vernixx » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:09 pm

The studio version of YOU ENJOY MYSELF. I still get that feeling when I hear it....
vernixx

what was THE song

Postby dbphan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:34 pm

I assume the first song I ever heard did it for me. I heard the Studio version of Bathtub while beginning to trip on shrooms. It was high school and my friend from Alabama played it for me while I was in the backseat of his car beginning to stare at the pretty lights. My first thought was "Are these guys black" and my friend retorted, "No they're jewish." Mazel Tov.
dbphan

what was THE song

Postby gregradiohead » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:35 pm

THE song?? I guess the 11/17/97 Tweezer. I had 11/27/98 before that, but it didn't grab me the way that popping in the first disc of Live Phish 11 and kicking back for three straight discs of serious fucking jams did. Of course now 11/27/98 is just as dear to me...
gregradiohead
Goderator

what was THE song

Postby mesquandolas8 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:09 pm

The solo at the end of dwd.
mesquandolas8

what was THE song

Postby whyweigh228 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:11 pm

The solo at the end of dwd.

wow yeah.....its really powerful and upbeat.....really gets you in a good mood whenever you hear it
whyweigh228

what was THE song

Postby Moma Dave » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:16 pm

For me it was my first show 3/22/93. I was blown away!

1: Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Uncle Pen, Stash, Bouncing Around the Room, Rift, Weigh, Reba, Sparkle, David Bowie

2: Golgi Apparatus, It's Ice-> Lizards-> Tela-> Wilson-> AC/DC Bag-> Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Fly Famous Mockingbird-> The Sloth-> McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Mike's Song-> I Am Hydrogen-> Weekapaug Groove

E: Amazing Grace, Fire

Imagine this being your first show... WTF? No wonder they changed my life. LOL

I'm left in the now with a wondrous glow
I think I'm still me but how would you know?
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

what was THE song

Postby Harpua » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:12 pm

The song for me was Divided Sky on Volume 7.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

what was THE song

Postby sarahsmiles » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:22 pm

Guyute was the ugly pig....my first show was Vernon 98 right before Lemonwheel..and while they did not play the ballad of the pig that night it was/is the song that really made me love Phish...from start to finish... me gusta mucho
sarahsmiles

what was THE song

Postby willbreathes » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:30 pm

probably my first show...2-22-03 the gin blew my mind...i actually did not really know what was going on with the music as at the time i was still testing all the waters of phish...but i remember groovin to the jam and then 20 minutes later, it went back to the orignal gin riff, and i was like, this is the same song...from that moment on i have been hooked and i am rediculously obsessed with the boys now....thank you us bank arena and bathtub gin for that magical night

I was there too... My favorite jam of post-hiatus was that Gin. Believe it or not, I am listening to it as we speak... Going through the section of Mike chanting, 'Bathtub Gin'.

I had to listen to it... After burning it for Roses and Vernixx, I couldn't just put it away... I have been rocking it for 2 days now.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

what was THE song

Postby willbreathes » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:32 pm

The song that got me was 'Stash' from A Live One. I had to ask my friends how many people are in this band. I could have sworn it was atleast 8, when I heard 4, I started shaking and convulsing trying to figure out HOW!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

what was THE song

Postby alright » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:57 pm

^ah yes, ive mentioned before ALO did it for me. pretty much once i heard the opening bass thumps from mike iwas hooked. plus, i love thtat stash (7-8-94) from alo
#23 So back off
alright
Teh Taintless Wonder

what was THE song

Postby vernixx » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:28 pm

I remember when I first heard Phish back in 1990, I though immediately that they were the bastard off-spring of Zappa and The Grateful Dead! I wish I woulda gotten into them right then, but it took a year to hook me in. I was well into Panic at that time, though.......
vernixx

what was THE song

Postby fone » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:32 pm

Tough question.

After totally rejecting Phish because of the Llama at the beginning of PON in 94, hearing BATR from ALO on the radio in '95 made me buy that album right away.

It was the YEM on ALO that totally blew me away, and the Hood that swept up the pieces and put them out with the trash. These two songs drove me to my first concert on 8/14/97, and it was the Antelope first set closer that convinced me that I HAD to hear more of Phish in concert.

Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

what was THE song

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:01 pm

The second Phish song I ever heard was Stash on A Live One. It got me hook, line and sinker.

Stevo
El Bastarde

what was THE song

Postby mikesaidno » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:22 pm

Fee. Can't remember from what concert.
mikesaidno
Swerkski Superfan

what was THE song

Postby grabs666 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:22 pm

I had a very complicated relationship with the band for the first 5 years I knew they existed. In 1991 a friend played Junta for me. I HATED it. I thought it was musical gibberish. After that, every time someone put on the band I would talk shit about how bizarre it was. Finally, around 1994, someone played me both Picture of Nectar and Hoist. First the diversity of Nectar amazed me. And the end of Cavern really hooked me in. Then Hoist rocked my ass. Sure, most fans think this album sucks. But it certainly had the pop sensibility to reel me in. The one-two punch of Nectar/Hoist really sold the band to me. But when I started exploring the live stuff, that's when my love really took off. I would say that hearing the A Live One Hood sent me looking for any and all live phish.

Stupidity was the only thing that kept me from seeing them untill 1996.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grabs666
Satan

what was THE song

Postby goldenroad » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:23 pm

11/7/96 Bathtub Gin...the most underrated phish jam ever, IMHO. If I were stuck on a desert island with only one song from one show, there is a very good chance I would choose this. It is not like any other Gin I've ever heard...fuck it, I'm posting the review from phish.net. I can't put it into words, but this guy kind of can:

A li'l KY Gin for all you KY Jelly fans out there: Suzy Greenberg comes to a close and, DAMMIT TREY, make up your mind! The start of Bathtub Gin arises from the still burning ashes of Suzy Greenburg. Not really a seque but a transition meriting a "->" it still must be. For the first 0:08 secords or so of this Gin, you still hear Suzy's final crashes and Fish really *really* rocks and ROLLS on this intro. Page jumps in at: 0:22 ->0:47 Page you slut!!! Rhapsody is wraped and warped to such a degree of twisted delight that no one, not even Gershwin, would recognize it - and there's nothing "Blue" happening here ...Page paints with amber and magenta and StinkStankStunk. Not as furious as say, 8/16/96 or 12/29/96, but every bit as glorious. Lyrics Segment: 0:47 Trey sounds happy as usual. :) Page Fill 1: 1:19->1:35 With some more of his "I'm demented and deranged and I don't care" piano spasms. I swear that Page's fills have taken a leap in the past year, now confirming beyond a shadow of a doubt an utter madness lurking in the jungles of Page's soul :) Fill 2:06->2:20 and we finally have some modern, updated, but still recognizable Rhapsody in Blue derived licks. FAUCET: 2:36 - *slightly* botched notes and *small* rhythmic mishaps has become the norm for Trey here. To be honest though, for '96, this is one of the more closer-to-perfect attempts. The rest of the band remains tight with it, as always. SINGING w/the Faucet: 3:17 Again, the first note of the lick repeatedly comes in a tad late, but only a tad...really. Other than that, this section is fine. Minimal variation, but some bringing this to the "about par" level. WATER from the Faucet: 4:28 pouring out immediately and without notice from the SINGING FAUCET section, as usual. At first, as is the expected course, we're still stuck inside the CFL with the suspended blues again, and then the CFLick becomes the CFTheme and then, throughout the 5 minute mark, Trey beautifully although ominously sustains notes from the CFL regions, and at 6:32 fragments of the CFL show up in-between these ominous single note suspensions. I feel like we're scuba diving here in the deep, dark waters, the guitar sounds like the floodlight we're holding, moving about, shooting beams of light in one direction and then, quick now, in another. From 6:54 for a little bit Trey switches to some wonderful st-st-st-staccato decorations on the CFL, then by 7:32 he has created a beautiful style of mixed st-st-staccato and -s u s t a i n- At 8:33 he's locked onto a theme that he could go with, but by 8:50 decided to go his own way; the band follows along with their respective Hey Holes. Trey is still CFL at 9:02 - There's a fast run-through of CFL followed by a decisive mood switch. Their mood rings are all perfectly attuned to each other, and it's the richest shade of green known to humanKIND. From 9:22->9:30 Trey WIGS OUT and from out of nowhere starts trilling voraciously followed by some incredible, beautfiul, awe-inspiring solos in the Classic Trey Mode...Trey is still Trey-zy after all these years! By 10:38 the jam is both CFT and not!?! At 10:44 there is a very brief Fire On The Mountain THEME tease. Honest to god Jerry lick. I'm being serious, I'm talking about Fire baby...and Pasta. :). Apart from the Lick (which is admittedly just as Trey as it is Jerry), I would say that this was a jam in the FOTM-THEME mode, not the actual thing. Just like the CFTheme isn't the actual Faucet notes always. Look, if anyone doubts this, may it ease their troubled mind that it *could* always be coincidental since this jam is coincidentally following the same (common) chord progression as FOTM. Regardless, those familiar with the tune can't deny that it shows up here, on Fishman's and Trey's behalf. At 11:22 Trey flips out with the machine-gun again. He builds us up and up and away we go, enlightened little Buddhas of the Phish age. It's the music of the magic of the moment. It's the music that one hears when someone offers them their Flynn Theater extra! This is just...I'm almost in tears here, okay? It's *that* good! Page hits Trey's CFL on piano. Fishman amazes with a groovy groove. From 12:59->13:xx there is some FOTM-similarity followed by more trained Bathtub Scuba Gin Diving just to cool us down... 13:42 comes like a breath of fresh air and Rogue Ale. Page plays some of the most perfect chords I've ever heard him do until a locking rhtyhm akin to an old Squeeze song comes in around 14min. No one's in the house/everybody's out/all the light are on/dOOd. :) Page switches to clavinet by 14:xx and Trey heads on over to his mini-kit. Uh-oh -- I feel a PermaGroove coming on! By 15 minutes IT'S THERE, BABY, oh IT'S ALL THERE!! Mike adds some called-for funk in an odd placement pattern starting around 15:39. Spike Gordon has taken control of the 33% less malleable Mike. Page's clavinet comes scccreeAACCCHIING in at 16:02!! And he proceeds to bear all to that crowd - why, golly Page! By 17:19 Page decided that he's a bird and he makes, literally, some flying MOCKingbird sounds. Not the song, but the bird. And the Plane. And it's...it's...it's SUPER-PAGE! It really is super, Page :) By the time the audience cheers this wing-flapping Page has gone on, the slut that he is, to other things. :). Mike is thumping away, Trey and Fish on percussion together, Page on Hose-back Riding!! 19:01 Trey starts unleashing some javelin tosses from the olympic arm of the 'doc. By 19:55 he's back low on the rhtyhm side of the fretboard, fretting over all things uber. 20:06 some more FOTM-like licks that are also Trey-like licks. By 20:27 this has turned back into a fiery inferno disco-ball Gin in the Bathtub of the Gods. At 21:07 we're somewhere in between the Fire that's happening on that there Mountain and the patented Bathtub Gin Martini dance. Wow! I'm almost ablaze because of this damned heat! At 21:39 a Tweeprise lick is thrown in briefly, bringing back memories of the likewise spectacular 12/5/95 Gin. At 22:07 there's a "drop-out" in participating instruments and again at 22:29 when it becomes just Page and some minor feedback 22:49 sees some Star-Wars Laser Light Love Beams From Outer Space. 23:04 Page starts playing what could be a half-hearted ragtime tune, but then reverts back to those light beams of love and glow-paint. 23:06 we hear the drums once again and Page continues to wig out along with Mike and Trey. A hint of HYHU, very subtly, at some point. By 24:32 this has turned into an evil thematic jam, at 25 minutes we're being tossed back and forth in-between 2 chords and I think this happened once before...It's a Tornado! 25:33 BEAM ME UP SCOTTY, the tornado is gaining speed we're circling now threefeet off the ground, 5 feet, at 26:00 we're dropped back to the floor - but it's a disco floor, with disco ball and all, Mike "FUNKY BEAT" Gordon is funking away and we're doing John Travolta underwater :) H'uh! Good Gawd Y'all! Hinted at at 26:33.... 26:39 seques into HYHU gloriously, without remorse and with a complete and total feeling of victory! HYHU feels, in essence, like the victory-flag being waved back and forth in the air after a particularly hard-fought battle. We're all winners here though, and to celebrate we're dropping like flies...Why? Because we drank this whole damned bottle in under 27 minutes without realizing it had a - Rating: 98 Proof! We carry this Martini made of Bathtub Gin and drenching us with its Golden Hose bottle. We all must laugh...or cry...or GET THIS GIN AT ALL COSTS! I can't believe how well the band listens to each other, how almost the entire "Water from The Faucet" section is pure Golden Hose, with Bareback HOSE-back riding from all! Page's clav. section, which is an unusual occurance in Bathtub Gin to say the least, the fUnK, the dAnK, and all things good in spirit and flesh. There are many reasons why I love Phish...and 11/7/96 Gin is one of them! Walk with light my friends, Benjy
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

what was THE song

Postby vernixx » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:28 pm

Man.....talk about DESCRIPTIVE!
vernixx

what was THE song

Postby relaxation3 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:38 pm

^^^ For sure!
The song that got me into Phish per say was Waste from the Bittersweet DVD. That was the first thing I bought and that song from that DVD got me into a trance. I went out and bought Billy Breathes the next day and from there bought various Live Phish releases. Each one of those drove me further into Phish addiction and it still continues. But now the collection has expanded far beyond on the official releases. Thank God! and thank you OH KEE PAH!
relaxation3
The Eggman

Next

Return to General Phish Discussion