06-18 Post-Gazette Pavilion

Discuss the 2009 shows!

Postby willbreathes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 pm

06/18/09 Post-Gazette Pavilion - Burgettstown, PA

1: Golgi Apparatus^, Chalk Dust Torture, Bouncing Around the Room, Wolfman's Brother, The Divided Sky, Heavy Things, Walk Away*, Wilson, Tube, Alaska, David Bowie

2: Down With Disease > Free, Guyute, Piper -> When The Circus Comes To Town, Harry Hood > The Squirming Coil, You Enjoy Myself

E**: Grind, Hello My Baby, Hold Your Head Up > Bike > Hold Your Head Up, Loving Cup

Note: ^First show-opening Golgi since 12/6/97. * First Walk Away since 10/5/00 (80 shows). First Bike since 9/12/00 (95 shows). **The show ended at 11:55pm, long after a reported 11pm curfew, including an encore exceeding 22 minutes on its own! (The first set was 8:10-9:36pm, second set 10:07-11:36pm.) About halfway through Grind, they were singing in the wrong key and some (Fishman) couldn't hit the correct notes. They stopped, laughing, and huddled, trying to decide whether to re-start Grind again in the correct key or start something else. The crowd knew this because the band was too close to the mics and the crowd could hear the conversation. Trey realizes this and says,"Can you guys hear what we're saying when we are talking?" Crowd goes nuts and Trey says, "It was supposed to be a secret but Page blew the wrong note." They try to restart Grind, but it never happens and they huddle again, with Trey saying,"Hold on, don't go away." Crowd goes nuts again. After almost a minute, they step up to the mic with Trey saying,"If this doesn't work, Fish will sing Bike for you." They start Hello My Baby, but it is scrapped after 30 seconds because the band is laughing hysterically, and Trey proclaims, "And Fish will now sing Bike for you," and runs to the drum kit to start HYHU. Fish gets vacuum, goes center stage and says,"Welcome to the train wreck portion of the show. I hope everyone is enjoying it as much as we are. Maybe I'll remember some of the words to this song." Before going into Bike (forgetting a number of the lyrics) w/ vacuum solo at the end, then Jon did an intro of the band (introducing himself last as Henrietta), then Trey came back out and they did Loving Cup.

Tonight's show is celebrated by a $1,000 grant to Burgettstown Area Middle School Guitar Club from the Mockingbird Foundation.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby y0n » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:22 am

My phirst show. Hard to judge critically for that reason. But yeah, awesome show!
y0n

Postby OlfactoryHue » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:40 pm

tube was funkafied hard

lots of clav

bennet acres campgrounds can suck a fat one
OlfactoryHue
Dr. Pulgar Verde

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby willbreathes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 pm

OlfactoryHue wrote:
bennet acres campgrounds can suck a fat one

The Relax Inn off 70 was the coolness. I stripped that ice machine bone dry, and the owners were not the happiest ;D
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby emersonbigguns » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Someone tried to pry their way into my trunk at Bennett Acres and bent it all out of shape.
emersonbigguns

Postby OlfactoryHue » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:07 pm

that sucks... my friend got arrested... sure he was in the wrong, but he wasn't the intended target... they nab'd him with like 2 grams of nug and a pipe... after his court date all charges where thrown out

damn campground over sold their place then when all was said and done they called in the cops to arrest people...

live and learn, luckily it was not me in the cuffs
OlfactoryHue
Dr. Pulgar Verde

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ghost_2000 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:32 pm

I dunno, but there were helicopters flying over the lot and dudes in lookout towers and I was freaked out a little bit.

I'm just a little freaked out.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby goldenroad » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:36 pm

My favorite part about Star Lake may have been our meetup at the Victory Lounge. That place didn't know what hit them! Weren't they running out of glasses by the time Brad and his crew showed up?

Oh and I guess the show was pretty good.

The highlights for me were...well everything except Alaska I guess. But I really loved the Encore. Probably the best Phish encore I could ever dream of. I still can't believe they played Bike.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby ghost_2000 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:50 pm

I walk in and it's this dimly-lit hole-in-the-wall bar. I guess I didn't really know what I was expecting. There were like 2 other people there. I thought "this place is gonna be packed in like 2 hours, should I warn them now?"

I didn't.

Haha! Good times.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Atoms » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 pm

The part I remember most about this show is coming out of the bathroom at the end of Heavy Things and hearing them start up Walk Away. I just bolted back out to the lawn and was high-fiving everyone along the way. Dance party ensued.
we are all being pursed. some have been found, some are still running. some will keep running until they get to the end of the road, straight off the proverbial cliff. you don't have to turn back, you just have to turn around.
Atoms
The Awoken

Postby willbreathes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:03 pm

Enjoyed Walk Away at the time. Afterwards I felt right away it was just odd. Completely alone and on its own. That is a segue song if I ever saw one.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby drbadgely » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 am

After listening to the show many times over, I could say this is my favorite Tube that I've seen, but they've all been pretty different. Amazing how a 'shorter' tune like Tube can be so diverse...

Really like the Wolfman's, and the Divided Sky is primo in the 1st set. Like Will said, Walk Away was oddly placed but appreciated.

2nd set has a glorious DWD; I knew we'd be in for IT once it started. The song is aging as well as any in their catalog, and ripe for far greater improv than before, but this Free was one of the shittiest I've heard and that sucks, because the potential of that song seems so obvious. However, I love the Piper > Circus.

Hood = excellent. Most of the glowsticks had been exhausted from before, ha ha. So it's gotta be the end, right? Nope. Coil! This Coil is my favorite version I've seen. No doubt about it at all. They absolutely nailed it. Well, that's GOTTA be the end, right? NOPE... YEM! Good gawd.

We, and everyone around us, seemed in a stupor as the encore played out, in what was the most humorous mood I've seen the guys in. Those of us in attendance got a LONG show, in fine '09 style. It seems cliche by now, but I couldn't help but feel "Phish is back!"
drbadgely

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:59 pm

yeah, they used to do Walk Away as a stand-alone way back in the day, but I agree it's a segue song. or at least a ">". they could have started it up in the post-wilson madness....
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: 06-18 Post-Gazette Pavilion

Postby richkeith413 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:55 am

my first show. what a great setlist too! i ate some bad mushrooms though and had a horrible migraine the ontire night so the experience wasn't as great as it could have been. i stayed at bennett acres and missed the whole bust thing. i must have been passed out. but glad i didn't wake up in a jail cell.
richkeith413

Postby bigB » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Best show of the Summer!
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby henrietta » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:32 pm

Show was good....not as good as Hartford or Spac. Meeting up with some of you guys (Will, Brad, Steve) in the lot was very cool.
henrietta

Postby whyweigh228 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:07 pm

^^ i might have to agree with you....I definitly think its up there with hartford, JB3, camden, RR2 and darien.....hood, wolfmans, tube, divided, heavy things, disease and yem were all standout versions
whyweigh228

Postby willbreathes » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:44 pm

First show I saw of 09, and I left completely satisfied, and I knew the Phish was officially back.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:48 pm

And that second set & encore is all 1.0, and it was good.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby whyweigh228 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:09 am

^besides alaska the first set is all 1.0 too, sweeeet
whyweigh228

Postby goldenroad » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:35 am

I mentioned this in another thread, but I figured I'd bring it up here.

It's hard for me to fathom that this was my first show. For some reason it feels like I've been listening to Phish for my entire life...(or maybe I've just listened to enough Phish to cover all the music an average person would listen to in their lifespan). Anyway, maybe I'm just kind of jaded, or I just knew too much Phish going into it, but I was kind of disappointed in this show for it being my first show. I mean, the song selection is there. They really hit all the right marks, Hood, YEM, DWD > Free, Piper, Tube, Wolfmans, Bowie...but something seemed lacking. It just seemed, as excited and willing to look past this as I was at the time, kind of uninspired. I'd been following the tour so closely up until this point, actually having heard every show except Knoxville and...Asheville (?)...and I was just really hoping for a more creative setlist with some bustouts and wild segues, ala previous Star Lake shows, and it all just felt kind of predictable. Maybe that's my problem with it. Or maybe it's just that the jamming never really seemed to go anywhere and Trey's playing was still kind of subdued, and maybe even a little too sloppy (Bowie...urghh) for how late in the tour it was.

This is far from being a bad Phish show, but I'd still consider it to be the worst show I've seen, and it just sucks that my first show was also my worst show if you know what I mean. Has anyone else had this experience?

I still say the Encore was the highlight.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby phishycubs » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:31 am

Jaded before your first show. Now that has gotta be a first.
phishycubs

Postby drbadgely » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:46 am

^ Yeah. :|

Now the Bowie and Free were :sick: but the rest of the show I thoroughly enjoyed. Thoroughly. :mrgreen:
drbadgely

Postby PardonMe Doug » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:18 pm

I loved this show. This was my third 3.0 show, but I had gone to Great Woods and Camden alone. I knew a few people that were going to be there, but none that I was close enough friends to want to share that experience with. So I basically hung out with no one and saw those first two shows "by myself", which was just the way I wanted it. It was kind of weird, but at the same time it was an awesome experience. Almost felt like it was just me and the band reunited after 5 years.

But Starlake was a different story. I met up with Brett and some of his crew which I had been seeing shows with since day 1. So it was much different, but just as amazing. The Divided Sky in the first was spot on perfection and I just remember looking around and seeing my friends and the thousands of people and everything just clicked in this awesome moment. Not nearly the best show musically I've ever seen, but a great experience nonetheless. When Trey and Mike started up their trampoline bit, I had this overwhelming feeling that all was right in the universe again :D
PardonMe Doug

Postby y0n » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:11 am

3 years ago my life was forever changed.
y0n

Next

Return to 2009