07-20 Ventura County Fairgrounds

Discuss the 1998 shows!

07-20 Ventura County Fairgrounds

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:22 am

07-20-98 Ventura County Fairgrounds, Ventura, CA

1: Bathtub Gin*, Dirt, Poor Heart**, Lawn Boy, My Sweet One, Birds of a Feather, Theme from the Bottom, Water in the Sky, The Moma Dance, Split Open and Melt (1:20)

2: Drowned -> Makisupa Policeman^ -> Maze, Sea and Sand, Prince Caspian^^, Harry Hood^^^

E: Sexual Healing#, Halley's Comet## (2/E 1:30)

Trey was chatty for the entire show. *With Crosseyed and Painless tease. **With "Freebird" ending (instrumental, not a capella). ^Keyword was "skunk"; included a Trey solo at the end. ^^Trey soloed 32nd notes for minutes on end. ^^^With glowsticks. #First time played; original by Marvin Gaye; Fish swaying side to side and singing karaoke-style from lyrics drawn on the back of a poster for the show; Trey on drums. ##Funked out, into a disco jam, into a delay loop jam (during which Trey had five or more loops going at once), at the end of which they left the stage one by one (Trey, Fish, Mike, then Page).
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: 07-20 Ventura County Fairgrounds

Postby booztravlr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:20 pm

and we love to take a bath!

Wow, +21 minute opener. Quite a way to kick off a show!
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby PardonMe Doug » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:32 pm

This show is quite the turnaround from the previous night. This Bathtub Gin opener is FIRE. For years I kept wondering what Gin opener I had on tape that I used to listen to all the time where Fish was the star and when I listened to this yesterday was reminded. The grooves he lays down over the last 10 minutes of this jam are just fucking insane, and Mike is totally locked into him the whole time. Some stop-start action, some breakdowns...but Fishman is the star of this jam.

The rest of the first set is a decent first set. Nothing too exploratory but the band is locked in and having fun. Good solos etc. The SOAM is pretty dissonant but not the best version ever. I like the Drowned even though it doesn't get too far out there and the Makisupa that comes out of it is pretty bass heavy. Maze is raging as per usual and a nice respite of just Page and his piano follow out of the blue with Sea and Sand. This Caspian is awesome, as noted in the show notes Trey just sort of goes off on some 32nd notes for quite some time. Hood is a good/standard version to close the set.

I don't know how I feel about the Sexual Healing. It's funny, there's no doubt about that. But it's 8 minutes long, and the last few minutes of them talking/singing sexily make me uncomfortable lol. The Halley's encore jam is totally obscure, but awesome.
PardonMe Doug

Postby Harpua » Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm

A few days ago I was listening to this show driving home from work. About 18 minutes into Gin I involuntarily yelled, "Fuck Yes!" This Gin is really something special. The second song of the show was a cool down for fucks sake! Mike, Page, and Fish all took victory laps.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Return to 1998