07-17 Oswego County Airport

Discuss the 1999 shows!

07-17 Oswego County Airport

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:23 am

07-17-99 Oswego County Airport, Volney, NY

Soundcheck: Also Sprach Zarathustra, Blues Jam (about "Mr Sausage", one of the vendors near the 2nd stage; to the tune of "Dear Mrs. Reagan"), Beauty of my Dreams, Carini, (more?)

1: Tube, Boogie on Reggae Woman, Birds of a Feather, Guelah Papyrus, My Sweet One, Roggae, Tweezer -> Have Mercy*, Taste, Character Zero (~1:30)

2: Funky Bitch**, On My Knees**, On My Knees Reprise#, Down With Disease*, Wolfman's Brother -> Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley -> Wolfman's Brother -> Timber (Jerry), You Enjoy Myself

E: The Squirming Coil, Tweezer Reprise (2+E 1:55)

*Trey on keys. **With Son Seals. #Short blues jam played as Son Seals exited.
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: 07-17 Oswego County Airport

Postby Real Talk YEM » Wed May 26, 2010 10:50 am

One of the most underappreciated shows ever IMO. YEM is a top 5 EASILY for me. CACTUS catches flame, typical stellar '99 tweezer
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby piper » Wed May 26, 2010 4:19 pm

i'm obsessed w the tweezer->have mercy->taste
piper

Postby lawnboy357 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:52 pm

I was there. It was hot. My tongue swells thinking about it. The weather was oppressive also.
lawnboy357

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:05 pm

My god this show is so good.

For sure one of my favorite shows ever!

The Disease is completely disgusting among all the other highlights.

Top 5 DWD ever
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby bigB » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:49 pm

I knew it might take some time. But finally 99 is getting the respect it always deserved!
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Now if only the Bulls can come around :twisted:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby bigB » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:44 pm

No 7 on the way!
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Postby nugfin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Don't remember too much of this show - my buddy's girlfriend was at the medic tent with heat exhaustion. Son Seals was a nice addition, enjoyed that. '99 was a good year, but was the beginning of the downward trend into sporadic sloppyness. For some reason it always irked me when Trey would lean over his mini-keyboard and start noodling about. At times it worked, but more often didn't; and I got the impression Page didn't approve. Trey really started honing his skills on the effects pedals around this time period.
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:03 pm

nugfin wrote:... '99 was a good year, but was the beginning of the downward trend into sporadic sloppyness. ....

First time I heard LP17, 7/15/1998, I thought to myself, AHA!! And I have a similar take on Hampton Comes Alive ... seems '98 is the year. Playing is suddenly notably sloppier and the vocals sound exhausted! So IMO it's really '98. I don't know about Trey's habits or anything, but that's definitely where I noticed it starting to show.
:geek:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby nugfin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:37 am

hosemasterflex wrote:
nugfin wrote:... '99 was a good year, but was the beginning of the downward trend into sporadic sloppyness. ....

First time I heard LP17, 7/15/1998, I thought to myself, AHA!! And I have a similar take on Hampton Comes Alive ... seems '98 is the year. Playing is suddenly notably sloppier and the vocals sound exhausted! So IMO it's really '98. I don't know about Trey's habits or anything, but that's definitely where I noticed it starting to show.

You're probably right. I remember standing next to my friend at the Great Went and out of nowhere during Sunday's afternoon set he turns to me and says "Savor this moment, they will never be better than they are right now."

I kinda shrugged it off, but he was right. Saw some great shows in '98, '99 and believe it or not even '00 (Hartford run stands out) but you could tell it just wasn't there anymore.

Back to Oswego though, these shows were especially great considering they didn't play live at all for the first half of '99 and this "festival" (if you want to call it that) was thrown together at the last minute.
nugfin

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:19 am

Yeah, didn't mean to get off topic - I was lucky enough to see the first three fests, so this was the first one I skipped. Not even sure if I've heard any of it really. I didn't see much Phish between Lemonwheel and 8/11/04 - I think just the Providence show in '99 ... which is a pretty awesome show actually. So I'm out of my element a bit, not that familiar with 1999.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:36 pm

nugfin wrote:
hosemasterflex wrote:

You're probably right. I remember standing next to my friend at the Great Went and out of nowhere during Sunday's afternoon set he turns to me and says "Savor this moment, they will never be better than they are right now."

I kinda shrugged it off, but he was right. Saw some great shows in '98, '99 and believe it or not even '00 (Hartford run stands out) but you could tell it just wasn't there anymore.

Back to Oswego though, these shows were especially great considering they didn't play live at all for the first half of '99 and this "festival" (if you want to call it that) was thrown together at the last minute.

I agree somewhat with what you've said here.

To me, the Went was probably my favorite Phish experience to date. Right up there with Cypress as far as complete Utopia.

But I think the next couple years had a lot of highlights that saw the band playing as well as they did in Limestone.

And Oswego was a full on festy, albeit thrown together very late in the game, and I think it had the best set up of any of the festivals! The + sign design of the camping and stage meant you weren't too far from the stage no matter where you camped. I though the side stage was pretty cool too.

:thumbup:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby bigB » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Oswego is like that little restaurant most people walk past. The regulars sitting inside chuckle a bit cuz they know what a great thing these passers by are missing.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Postby willbreathes » Fri May 18, 2012 4:35 pm

This first set is absolutely smoking. Tube and Boogie On set a very funky tone, but Birds comes at it full on guitar raging. Strong middle section of the set, and the Tweezer>Have Marcy>Taste is so awesome. Tweezer goes to some really fun areas, and at moments reminds me of a high energy version from '95.

Son Seals to open up set two is excellent as well, the additional musicians fits right along with Phishs' sound perfectly. Then the rest of the set is an absolute jamfest. The Wolfmans and the Sneaking Sally are really strong, and the YEM to close up the set is a perfect period on this show. Coil & Tweezer Reprise is an excellent choice for an encore. Great show to start off a "festival" of sorts.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby bigB » Fri May 18, 2012 9:55 pm

"Festival"
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Postby nugfin » Fri May 18, 2012 10:06 pm

nice pics :thumbup:
nugfin

Postby willbreathes » Sat May 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Who is the really tall chick?
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby bigB » Sat May 19, 2012 10:03 pm

^ Sue Bird
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue May 22, 2012 2:33 am

willbreathes wrote:This first set is absolutely smoking. Tube and Boogie On set a very funky tone, but Birds comes at it full on guitar raging. Strong middle section of the set, and the Tweezer>Have Marcy>Taste is so awesome. Tweezer goes to some really fun areas, and at moments reminds me of a high energy version from '95.

Son Seals to open up set two is excellent as well, the additional musicians fits right along with Phishs' sound perfectly. Then the rest of the set is an absolute jamfest. The Wolfmans and the Sneaking Sally are really strong, and the YEM to close up the set is a perfect period on this show. Coil & Tweezer Reprise is an excellent choice for an encore. Great show to start off a "festival" of sorts.

No offense, but do you know anything about music? This is a very vague and generic show review :lol:

Why is festival in quotes? Is there something about it not festive enough?
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby willbreathes » Tue May 22, 2012 2:52 am

I was always worried when someone would catch on to me. Kudos, ked I once met at Blossom, kudos.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue May 22, 2012 3:18 am

Catch on to what? I was actually curious as to why you put it in quotes and I just didn't think that was much of a review at all, not saying I'm good at it either but if I did a write up and it came out like I just wouldn't post it probably

I wrote a review of sorts for slip stitch and pass and I ended up with something similar to what you wrote, I felt bad for the dude who had to read that thing, mine was more in depth (bc it had to be) but I can't imagine a non Phish fan would get much out of it
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby willbreathes » Tue May 22, 2012 4:54 am

Are you just damp because Mr Minor is done fluffing shows?
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue May 22, 2012 5:09 am

I've never kept up with blahgs much, but I guess your stab up there should be a nice replacement for those who miss his stuff...all the insight and whatnot
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Tue May 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Damn it Will, "thanks" for making me read that "review".

I am "so" much more informed "than" I was before "reading" that "dribble".

"Go" bunk yourself cust"ie"
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Next

Return to 1999