09-18 Coors Ampitheatre

Discuss the 1999 shows!

09-18 Coors Ampitheatre

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:26 am

09-18-99 Coors Amphitheatre, Chula Vista, CA

1: Tweezer, Roses are Free, Wilson > Maze, Brian and Robert, Tube, Rocky Top (1:00)

2: Boogie On Reggae Woman, Meatstick, Free, Bouncing Around the Room, Harry Hood, Frankenstein, Cavern

E: Contact, Tweezer Reprise
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

09-18 Coors Ampitheatre

Postby grabs666 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:26 pm

Interesting show! I remember being confused by the Tweezer opener. Can't complain, but what a weird set I opener. The rest of the set is good, but not excellent. Everything but the B&R are sold and energetic.

The real reason people keep revisiting this one is the Boogie On. This version is a monster that just keeps on going and going, but not in a boring way. They play the shit out of this song at this show. I would argue that this is the best version of the song and def worth a listen. The rest of the set is pretty stock. The Meatstick contains some instructions on how to do the dance (I still don't know how, and don't care). The version is really drawn out because of this and it seems to go on way too long.

The Hood made me cry, but I was pretty inebriated.

Definitely check out this version of Boogie On! You can probably skip most of the rest of the show.
grabs666
Satan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 09-18 Coors Ampitheatre

Postby Real Talk YEM » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 pm

I like the Tweezer better than the Boogie. I have a '99 Tweezer fetish though. Tweezer>Roses is the best way for a show to open for me, my favorite two songs.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 pm

I agree with the Boogie On sentiments. There is a moment of awkwardness transitioning from the Boogie On theme into the theme that they carry through the rest of the jam, but other than that it is excellent shit. I also really like how they bring it back to Boogie On at the end and trade turns on the solo breakdown. A great way to end a 20-min jam IMO. Tweezer is one of my favorite openers, even though they frequently don't go off into outer space. This one is very good, though they energy seems to dive after Maze. The Tube also has a very cool jam, but in a mellow groovy kinda way without much energy. I think the rest of the second set after Boogie On is pretty lackluster. The Hood doesn't even do it for me.
PardonMe Doug

Postby Harpua » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:34 am

Interesting choice for an official release (not that it isn't good enough).

It starts out with a pretty decent Tweezer. The whole first set is pretty decent, but it seems abridged. The Maze is ... you know... Maze, Tube does have some extended jamming, so... yeah... pretty decent first set.

The second set is Boogie On. This very well could be THE Boogie On. In fact - yes - I would say it is. The jam that comes out of it doesn't stray incredibly far from the original structure, but that doesn't matter. It is a dance party. This remains true for Meatstick, during which Trey and Mike teach the crowd how to do The Meatstick. This is a case of "maybe you had to be there." Trey and Mike leave Page and Fish to hold down the song while they dance with audience members... for a while. Free is very good. Harry Hood might be the second best part of the show.

One fun thing is when Trey is pandering to the audience, he forgets the name of the town they are playing in, he then punts and just calls it "your town." The crowd still ate that shit up.

(Edit - I just saw that Grab also called in "interesting." )
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Return to 1999