PHiSH On Vinyl

Discuss the Phish studio output.

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby delayloop » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 pm

White Tape and Party Time are on sale today at Phish Dry Goods:
http://drygoods.phish.com/dept/vinyl-lp-records?cp=773_1429_6907
Southern Phish
User avatar
delayloop

 
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:31 pm
Location: Columbia, SC
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby henrietta » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:36 pm

delayloop wrote:White Tape and Party Time are on sale today at Phish Dry Goods:
http://drygoods.phish.com/dept/vinyl-lp-records?cp=773_1429_6907



Good looks.....only two I'm missing. :thumbup:
henrietta

 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:16 am

Image
https://www.amazon.com/Phishs-Live-One- ... inw_strp_1

amazon blurb wrote:Twenty years after its release, Phish's double-CD collection A Live One has something rare and precious going for it: it still doesn't sound like anybody else. Oversized, perverse, requiring an unusual amount of listener background knowledge? Yes to all. Yet the collective improvisations it captures, unprecedentedly coherent yet freewheeling and open-ended, are unique in rock 'n' roll.

This book considers the music and moment of Phish's ecstatically inventive 1995 live document, a mix of weirdo acid-psych, ambient moonscapes, vaudevillian Americana, and riotous arena-rock energy, all filtered through bandleader Trey Anastasio's screwball compositional sensibility and the band's idiosyncratic approach to spontaneous group creativity. It places Phish and their fandom in historical and cultural context, and picks apart the mechanics of their extended group jams. And it examines the mystery of how a quartet of nice boys from Burlington, VT could have been, all at once, one of America's biggest touring acts and one of its best-kept secrets.


Looks like this could be a cool thing ... 160 pages on just this live album? Why's it in a book series named 33 1/3 - the same as vinyl record speed in RPMs? I guess it has nothing to do with a vinyl release. Yet.
User avatar
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious
 
Posts: 8307
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:27 pm
Location: RI
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby booztravlr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:07 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:Looks like this could be a cool thing ... 160 pages on just this live album? Why's it in a book series named 33 1/3 - the same as vinyl record speed in RPMs? I guess it has nothing to do with a vinyl release. Yet.


https://www.jambase.com/article/phish-release-live-one-vinyl

Really feel like they could have done this on 3LP but that has not been their style for any of the previous releases. Gumbo/Montana doesn't even break 10 minutes and that's likely all there is on side B.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
User avatar
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:12 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:33 am

I just got ALO, it's pretty impressive. Which suits the music of course, what a release this is. I really like the color layout, the labels, the actual box. So far what I've listened to sounds just unbelievably good.

My friend Dan got a copy too, but his is defective on the YEM side, anyone else have trouble with it? He tells me his Junta vinyl is missing the very ending of Foam as well! Along with the error near the end of Tweezer on A Picture of Nectar vinyl (which I've assumed is inherent to all Nectar pressings ... or at least the first one?), the errors are adding up ... my copy of Fuego is on the orange vinyl and is kind of wonky; skips a LOT on the title track, and tends to be finicky otherwise, like I gotta keep cleaning the stylus yet there's no dirt build-up.

I'm about halfway thru that ALO book I mentioned above, which is a tough read but pretty rewarding too. Glad I got it, but hesitate to recommend it. It's kind of overly verbose, I guess you'd say, like, overboard with the fancy talk. Just seems to complicate things unnecessarily is what I mean.
User avatar
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious
 
Posts: 8307
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:27 pm
Location: RI
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:22 am

I'm wrapping up what I think is my fourth listen to the ALO vinyl, and it's been tremendous.

Things that bothered me at the time of its release now seem like solid attributes. I didn't understand why more material wasn't being represented - only 12 tracks and so much redundant to the studio songs (sooooo much material still not commercially available). Then, it felt so clinical that in a way it didn't seem like it could be live, because no traded show ever sounded this well-engineered. So that was weird. It still doesn't seem live because the sound quality is so pristine (and the performances are tight as a f'n jar that won't f'n open g*ddammit) so it was not feeling like typical live Phish.

Now though, I'm so grateful for the unbelievably good sound this album's got. And regards to the material they chose, it's really simply a classic first live album. It promotes the back catalog, shows they play the single (lol), demonstrates they bring it live and offer some adventure along the way. And how can I really complain when they give us three classic non-studio cuts, and three new ones (counting Montana!) .. ? Harry, Slave, Gumbo, Wilson and Simple are all outstanding, if not definitive, versions.

Having focused on it with fresh ears so many years later, I honestly wonder if this is their greatest release of all. Just that blown away by it right now.
User avatar
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious
 
Posts: 8307
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:27 pm
Location: RI
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:30 am

One more post on this, lol.

The ALO Book I mentioned is good. Really glad I stuck it out. The author especially shines where he discusses how the Hood and Tweezer break new ground for the band (I think Stash is in that category too personally). He just has a habit of constantly throwing in the fattest vocabulary he can vernaculate.

Was fun to have the book to read as I listened to this amazing album.

Each band member shredded their asses off in those days (like eat your heart out Eddie VH and Randy Rhodes and Mike Portnoy and Rick Wakeman and Shredder from the Turtles) and I wish to personally thank them for it. All four guys are just at the top of their game on this album in so many ways, and the instruments sound like a dream come true.

Thank God it's all on tape.
User avatar
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious
 
Posts: 8307
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:27 pm
Location: RI
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby booztravlr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Dude, totally agree with all your thoughts on ALO vinyl release. This arrived on the release day via Amazon Prime and I instantly went to the Slave. I always cranked up the CD during the quiet parts before the jam to listen to the crowd. On the vinyl, this is very pronounced especially when you turn it up to 11. Like you said, these are all definitive versions of the classics and the best part is they sound like you're in the arena with the band. The production quality on the vinyl/box/etc is all top notch. This will end up being the Phish vinyl release I'll most often go to in the future.

On a side note, as good as this sounds through my stereo system I highly recommend using (noise reducing) headphones. I'm pretty sure you've mentioned the benefits of them before but everyone else should really follow suite. It's really the best way to listen to music. Don't get me wrong, I still crank my stereo often too, it's just not as crisp.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
User avatar
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:12 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby booztravlr » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:37 pm

To continue the double posting fashion in this thread :wave:

Anyone own the MSG 6LP set? I wrote this one off when it was originally released due to the price tag ($130?) but now, after listening to A Live One a couple times, I got the itch to buy this. It can be had for around $150, which ends up being $25/lp. It's sometimes hard to justify paying that much for a single LP which is the same reason why I passed on the Dead Cornell 3 LP release ($99). My collection is pretty extensive (https://www.discogs.com/user/booztravlr/collection) so I don't really need this but...why not, right? I'm mainly just curious to hear about the sound, etc. from anyone who owns it.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
User avatar
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:12 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby booztravlr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Was looking ahead to Slip, Stitch and Pass. Guessing this will also get a vinyl release but the breakdown needs to be refined to handle all the segues.

1997-03-01 Setlist
SET 1: Cities > The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony, Down with Disease, Weigh, Beauty of My Dreams, Wolfman's Brother -> Jesus Just Left Chicago , Reba, Hello My Baby, Possum

SET 2: Carini, Dinner and a Movie > Mike's Song -> Lawn Boy > Weekapaug Groove, The Mango Song > Billy Breathes, Theme From the Bottom

ENCORE: Taste, Sweet Adeline


Slip, Stitch and Pass songlist
Cities 5:19
Wolfman's Brother 13:50
Jesus Just Left Chicago 12:58
Weigh 5:29
Mike's Song 13:52
Lawn Boy 2:56
Weekapaug Groove 8:20
Hello My Baby 1:19
Taste 8:45



LP01 - A [10:48]
Cities 5:19
Weigh 5:29

LP01 - B [26:48]
Wolfman's Brother 13:50
Jesus Just Left Chicago 12:58

LB02- A [25:08]
Mike's Song 13:52
Lawn Boy 2:56
Weekapaug Groove 8:20

LP02 - B [10:04]
Hello My Baby 1:19
Taste 8:45

Basically, Weigh just jumps up a couple tracks. When I started to lay this out I was hoping they'd include a couple additional tracks to make this a 3LP release but it seems like one simple move can keep this as 2LP.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
User avatar
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:12 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby themomadans » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:56 pm

I read the ALO book earlier this year. It’s definitely worth your time.

Have been pretty tempted to get the ALO vinyl but haven’t justified spending that much on a record yet. Might wait to find a used copy.

SS&P vinyl would be awesome if they can fit it on two discs so it’d be a reasonable price.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
User avatar
themomadans

 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:19 pm
Location: the seaweed and slime of NJ
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:25 am

booztravlr wrote:Dude, totally agree with all your thoughts on ALO vinyl release. This arrived on the release day via Amazon Prime and I instantly went to the Slave. I always cranked up the CD during the quiet parts before the jam to listen to the crowd. On the vinyl, this is very pronounced especially when you turn it up to 11. Like you said, these are all definitive versions of the classics and the best part is they sound like you're in the arena with the band. The production quality on the vinyl/box/etc is all top notch. This will end up being the Phish vinyl release I'll most often go to in the future.

On a side note, as good as this sounds through my stereo system I highly recommend using (noise reducing) headphones. I'm pretty sure you've mentioned the benefits of them before but everyone else should really follow suite. It's really the best way to listen to music. Don't get me wrong, I still crank my stereo often too, it's just not as crisp.


I'm lucky to make time to listen at all, so I don't have the luxury of listening to a real good sound too often, but what I'm getting by listening to is pretty okay. Got some decent earbuds, car stereo's a'ight, bedroom stereo okie dokie. Yeah, I haven't spun the record since I bought it, but this one won't stay in the box long. What a strong Phish album.

booztravlr wrote:To continue the double posting fashion in this thread :wave:

Anyone own the MSG 6LP set? I wrote this one off when it was originally released due to the price tag ($130?) but now, after listening to A Live One a couple times, I got the itch to buy this. It can be had for around $150, which ends up being $25/lp. It's sometimes hard to justify paying that much for a single LP which is the same reason why I passed on the Dead Cornell 3 LP release ($99). My collection is pretty extensive (https://www.discogs.com/user/booztravlr/collection) so I don't really need this but...why not, right? I'm mainly just curious to hear about the sound, etc. from anyone who owns it.


I do not. I was similarly tempted to nab one after experiencing ALO though! But I'm not partial to that concert, and have probably never listened to it. That's what always seems to derail any potential scheme to go and get one.

Dude I'm not gonna quote the epic SS&P post, but it's really well done and actually educational, even. Makes me want to grab that show and check it out. But I'll say this: They'll never release a side w/ 25 minutes on it, or Junta would've been a double record.

themomadans wrote:I read the ALO book earlier this year. It’s definitely worth your time.

Have been pretty tempted to get the ALO vinyl but haven’t justified spending that much on a record yet. Might wait to find a used copy.

SS&P vinyl would be awesome if they can fit it on two discs so it’d be a reasonable price.


Good luck looking for used Phish records at reasonable prices. They must be pressing exactly at demand, in order for them to all be expensive, all the time. I almost threw an 'lol' onto that sentence, except it's not that funny, is it?

themomadans wrote:I read the ALO book earlier this year. It’s definitely worth your time.

Have been pretty tempted to get the ALO vinyl but haven’t justified spending that much on a record yet. Might wait to find a used copy.

SS&P vinyl would be awesome if they can fit it on two discs so it’d be a reasonable price.


Yeah, really glad I stuck it out with that book. There was a point early on where I didn't think I could do it, but by the end it got real good and the pages were a-turnin'.

I don't know how they're doin it, but it's like the used copies aren't that cheap, man. NYE 95 is still going for big dollars and so it'll wait til I can find it at a price that's (a lot) better for me.

I wonder if it's down to the 'limited pressing' nature of Phish records, but they're plain ol' expensive, no doubt.
User avatar
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious
 
Posts: 8307
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:27 pm
Location: RI
Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Album Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 0 guests