8-08 Camden, NJ

Discuss the 2017 shows!

8-08 Camden, NJ

Postby y0n » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:29 pm

BB&T PAVILION
Camden, NJ
SET 1: The Moma Dance > Free > Undermind, Theme From the Bottom > My Sweet One, Steam > Train Song, Halley's Comet > Everything's Right

SET 2: Julius, Carini > Set Your Soul Free, Wingsuit, Scents and Subtle Sounds > Waste, Split Open and Melt > Character Zero

ENCORE: Suzy Greenberg

Trey teased Apostrophe in Steam. Character Zero contained Flash Light teases
y0n

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 8-08 Camden, NJ

Postby y0n » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Solid above-average great Phish show, though my preference tends towards the previous night.

First set was played well, with a little something extra on a number of jams in a way that has become characteristic of this tour IMO. That said everything was type I until Everything’s Rught went off. If you aren’t a fan of the song by this point you’re best off putting up with the composed part, because they jam well with every performance going back to the debut last year.

Carini, SYSF, and Scents all have jams that seem be to be cut a bit short. That said the jams they contain are worthy of revisiting. Scents has the intro, which is fun and also will be stuck in my head for the next few days.

And then the Melt. This song has had a bit of a renaissance over the last stretch of shows (going back to BD), and the last two versions have been especially good. Gritty, dark, and menacing. Captures the feeling of the time space continuum splitting open and melting. And for the first time in a 3.0 standout melt they stick the landing (at least according to my recollection). Character Zero has an atypical jam attached, so be sure to give it a listen.

No issues with extended lulls as with the night before, but none of the jams in the second set truly took off (and none are longer than 12 minutes). That said this show had better flow than the previous night. In 2018 Phish has given us a wealth of new jams, and has kept us on our toes with setlist construction.

Onwards to Raleigh, Merriweather, and CURVEBALL! (Dick’s will rock too)
y0n

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to 2018