12-31-95 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

12-31-95 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

1: Punch You in the Eye, The Sloth, Reba, The Squirming Coil, Maze, Colonel Forbin’s Ascent^-> Shine*-> Famous Mockingbird, Sparkle, Chalk Dust Torture

2: Drowned-> Lizards, Axilla [Part II], Runaway Jim, Strange Design, Hello My Baby, Mike’s Song**

3: Gamehendge Time Factory# > Auld Lang Syne > Weekapaug Groove-> Sea and Sand, You Enjoy Myself, Sanity, Frankenstein

E: Johnny B. Goode

^With narration about Phish’s off-tour job making time in the Gamehendge Time Factory. *Tom Marshall sings this “Collective Soul” cover to illustrate how awful it would be if time stopped with it playing over and over on the radio. **Ended with Trey creating a series of delay loops with his pedals. #All 4 band members dressed as mad scientists. They were playing with synthesizers while lights flashed and Van de Graff generators zapped. Fish was raised up in a bed as Father Time and reborn as Baby New Year after the countdown); includes a song called “Finlandia” (by Jean Sibelius; main theme music for the “Die Hard” movies).

This isn’t a show you fuck behind the bar up against a dumpster. It’s a show you take home to your parents for Christmas dinner.

Ive always thought this show was fairly overrated Dodges tomatoes. But really its a great show very tightly played but ive always thought that the only really notw-worthy version of a song on this was weekapaug. I mean the Drownd is fairly rockin but other than that i find the second set rather boring. The jim just trails on and on. Good show. Not AMAZING (Imo)

YEM, Mike’s and Lizards are all good versions.

Chalkdust rips!

But I will say that the Reba is entirely overrated. I don’t see it as an all-time version. But it doesn’t break the show.

I find the Mikes boring. Great Lizards and YEM. Yes Reba is overrated. Chalkdust is good but ive heard better 95 versions. Mike’s -> Weekapaug from 12-01-95 puts this one to shame.

That’s fair.

The bar was set sooo high during that fall/winter 95 tour.

The Weekapaug and Mikes from this show is pretty epic. That’s about all that I will listen to this show for. Maybe the Drowned->Lizards too.

I caught about 30 shows on this tour and I was expecting a lot more out of this show…I remember not being particulary thrilled with this show at the time… But my head was clouded by all the shows earlier that month! 12.7,12.09, 12.11,12.14 and even 12.29 were all superior shows IMO.

Yeah i like the 29th better too. Always thought this was hyped up by Rolling Stone because it was an incredible show compared to other concerts and it was NYE at MSG. But for Phish… not THAT great. I really dislike the YEM. My favorite part is actually the Sea & Sand. Page shows his Elton influence. Fishman’s drums sound like SHIT in the release too.

I am not actually that familiar w this show. I did just hear ^that drum sound complaint from a drummer friend of mine though, just a couple of days ago. I also have cheese block and crackers.

I can’t wait for tonight. Partying like it’s 1995 over here. By myself, watching some tube, eating some snacks.

Woohoo!