Mod Edits

Will recently edited a post and left a note explaining why.

If we made this an informal policy for edits and locked threads, I think it would go a long way toward addressing complaints about Mod control.

I agree. But I also think the people who complain are just looking to get a reaction in the first place.

Actually, I haven’t locked or edited any threads since OKP 2.0 opened up. Just not my style, I guess. Will just has a heavy hand… :wave:

On the Jeep board I moderate (which has about 25k members and 200-500 people online at a time), we always leave a note as to why things were edited or deleted and we usually try to send a PM, too. Something along the lines of “Hi so-and-so, I just wanted to let you know that I had to edit/delete your post, as we do not allow x here on the forum. For more info, feel free to check the FAQ or contact a member of the moderating team. Thanks for your understanding!”

Of course, 50% of the time, we get a response somewhere along the lines of calling us nazis… :lolno: But, hey, I guess it comes with the territory.

In my experience, I’ve found this board to be fairly light-handed when it comes to moderation in comparison to other forums I frequent. There aren’t a whole lot of forums that let me drop a fucking f-bomb whenever I want… so I’m feelin alright. :mrgreen:

Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

Good idea Zoot. Giving reason as to why would probably make it seem less personal.

I have no problem with this at all. I have never edited anyone else’s post, but when I lock or move something I always leave an explanation of why. I agree with Neil that the people who complain are looking for a reaction half the time, but yeah, this seems like a reasonable policy to me. Honestly, the need to edit another person’s post rarely arises from what I’ve seen.

i hate mods :open_mouth:

::awaits reaction::

^ Banned.

Band.

my all-time favorite:

I agree that adding a note to an edit is a good general policy. There’s a cool plugin for Discourse called Canned Replies that I think would make our lives easier if we’re having to do this a lot. What do you reckon?